How long shoud i wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan M.

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should I wait?*

I've been cycling my tank now for 5 days and the past couple of days I've been testing the water. My ammonia and nitrites are going up and down not increasing is that okay? or is that just apart of the cycling process. Also how long should I leave the raw shrimp in there for?

Attachments

• image-649272388.jpg
    image-649272388.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 87
I've been cycling my tank now for 5 days and the past couple of days I've been testing the water. My ammonia and nitrites are going up and down not increasing is that okay? or is that just apart of the cycling process. Also how long should I leave the raw shrimp in there for?

Hey buddy.. !!

Ammonia is needed for the cycling process to succeed. It can be produced in several ways, but usually it comes from dead decomposing matter or fish waste in this case your raw shrimp. During the process bacteria converts the ammonia into nitrite and at various levels of the process these two chemicals reach toxic levels. If you have fish in the water during this time the levels could be lethal. For this reason many people prefer to not cycle a tank using fish.

For these method you need to increase the water temperature to between 86 and 95 degrees. Because these temperatures are too high for fish, you will need to stabilize the water by gradually reducing the temperatures back down to between 74 and 80 degrees. Make sure that you reduce the temperature slowly, a sudden change in temperature can cause stress to the bacteria.

The cycle if the saltwater is at least 8 weeks until all the ammo goes down to 0 ppm, also Nitrates and Nitrites, the raw shrimp will stay in the tank for a week or so , that's for the ammo rise up once the ammo is high the nitrifying bacteria starts to work to help and reduce down the ammo becoming in Nitrites and then Nitrites become Nitrates all this parameter needs to be "0" . And that's happen in 4 to 8 weeks after the first month you'll be available to add your cleaner crew, that will spike a little the ammo again after the 8th week your tank should be finished with the cycle.

After this point your tank will be good to receive the first fish, a success of this hobby is the patience, Is very easy to make mistakes and most when you want to add a lot of live stock at once that's the big mistake be patience is the key.

Try to make a plan of what exactly you want fishes, corals, inverts etc. search for tank mates if you choose for corals starts for the easy ones, same way for inverts.

Good luck with your tank buddy!!

Hey buddy.. !!

Ammonia is needed for the cycling process to succeed. It can be produced in several ways, but usually it comes from dead decomposing matter or fish waste in this case your raw shrimp. During the process bacteria converts the ammonia into nitrite and at various levels of the process these two chemicals reach toxic levels. If you have fish in the water during this time the levels could be lethal. For this reason many people prefer to not cycle a tank using fish.

For these method you need to increase the water temperature to between 86 and 95 degrees. Because these temperatures are too high for fish, you will need to stabilize the water by gradually reducing the temperatures back down to between 74 and 80 degrees. Make sure that you reduce the temperature slowly, a sudden change in temperature can cause stress to the bacteria.

The cycle if the saltwater is at least 8 weeks until all the ammo goes down to 0 ppm, also Nitrates and Nitrites, the raw shrimp will stay in the tank for a week or so , that's for the ammo rise up once the ammo is high the nitrifying bacteria starts to work to help and reduce down the ammo becoming in Nitrites and then Nitrites become Nitrates all this parameter needs to be "0" . And that's happen in 4 to 8 weeks after the first month you'll be available to add your cleaner crew, that will spike a little the ammo again after the 8th week your tank should be finished with the cycle.

After this point your tank will be good to receive the first fish, a success of this hobby is the patience, Is very easy to make mistakes and most when you want to add a lot of live stock at once that's the big mistake be patience is the key.

Try to make a plan of what exactly you want fishes, corals, inverts etc. search for tank mates if you choose for corals starts for the easy ones, same way for inverts.

Good luck with your tank buddy!!

Alright Zero appreciate it so my levels of ammo and nitrite going up down doesn't mean much it's just part of the cycle? should I have the live rock in there plus the shrimp or just the rock?

4.0 and now its .50 is what I ment to say for my ammo

If you look in the picture I posted you can see where I put the shrimp. it's in a ziplock bag with a bunch of tiny holes cut into.

The cycle is going perfectly. It reached 4 ppm and now it's going down, and the nitrite and nitrate are going up. Just how you want it to be. The nitrite will then go down. Do a water change and take the shrimp out when there's 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrates. That's when your cycle will be done.

It sounds like its coming along well. I tried the shrimp idea, but it just got too nasty and stinky. I used pure ammonia as my ammonia source. This is by far the best method I have used. It is more controlled and far less messy.

Yeah I think it's cycling pretty well too I'll post my water readings later today

Here's the update

Attachments

• image-2079208449.jpg
    image-2079208449.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3877583135.jpg
    image-3877583135.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1912855375.jpg
    image-1912855375.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 64
Back