How long should I wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Munskins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal with 3 medium sized fish and 1 little munchkin niger. How long should I wait to get a new fish?

I split your post so you could get more specific answers. :wink:

Given the "unkown" 3 medium size fish and the Niger, I would think it is more than possible that you should not add anything else to the tank without some more info about those fish and the tank itself.

Nigers can easily get upwards of 8-12" or larger. In a 55 gal that's going to get cramped.

Cheers
Steve

Based upon another post by you about a 55 gal tank I am deducing this is teh same tank. In that post 5 people told you that tank was overcrowded.

Munskins said:
Current fish i have in a 55 gallon:
Huma Picasso Trigger (3"), Lemon Peal Angel (3"), Blue Tang (3.5"), Niger Trigger (2")

This was taken from a previous post of yours where you told what was in your tank.

Aaak! I definately agree with the others on this one. You are not only overstocked. Your system is most likely headed for a crash if the stock is not reduced. The bio filter cannot hope to keep up with those types of fish as well as the very potential aggression that will follow as these fish mature.

Cheers
Steve

You guys never seem to answer the real question. Same solution every time: You are overcrowding, bla bla bla... The tank is not going downhill. Its been up for more than 3 years with the same fish running on a wet/dry, uv, and a protein skimmer.

Like I have said in another thread, I have seen many people that have more advanced and more marine fish than me with the same size tank and have been raising it longer than me.

Steve, a niger won't get to that size in a 55gal aquarium no matter how long it lives.

You guys are quite predictable. Please read more books on aquariums and find more solutions to problems other than overcrowding.

This will be the last time Ill be at this useless forum.

You guys are quite predictable. Please read more books on aquariums and find more solutions to problems other than overcrowding.

Please point me to one source that recommends or encourages your kind of stocking for an aquarium, besides your LFS buddies ;) It ain't gonna happen, know why, cause no one endorses such hogwash.

Munskins said:
Steve, a niger won't get to that size in a 55gal aquarium no matter how long it lives.

The only way that will ever be accomplished is to drastically control the feeding of the animals. That is akin to abuse IMO. It is also very unhealthy to restrict the natural developement of your animals as well as eventually shortening their life span.

I also feel your tank is overcrowded, but i agree with you in the fact your niger wont grow that large. Very few fish will outgrow their surroundings. You asked for an oppinion and you got one, so what if you didnt like it. People are just telling you their own experiences. If you dont believe them then try for yourself, but if you come back needing help if your tank crashes dont expect any.

Since the original poster has already stated he won't be back and there is a great potential for the remainder of this thread to turn ugly, this thread is being locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom