Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2003, 04:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Munskins
I have a 55gal with 3 medium sized fish and 1 little munchkin niger. How long should I wait to get a new fish?

Old 08-02-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
steve-s

I split your post so you could get more specific answers.

Given the "unkown" 3 medium size fish and the Niger, I would think it is more than possible that you should not add anything else to the tank without some more info about those fish and the tank itself.

Nigers can easily get upwards of 8-12" or larger. In a 55 gal that's going to get cramped.

Cheers
Steve

Old 08-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Based upon another post by you about a 55 gal tank I am deducing this is teh same tank. In that post 5 people told you that tank was overcrowded.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munskins
Current fish i have in a 55 gallon:
Huma Picasso Trigger (3"), Lemon Peal Angel (3"), Blue Tang (3.5"), Niger Trigger (2")
This was taken from a previous post of yours where you told what was in your tank.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
steve-s

Aaak! I definately agree with the others on this one. You are not only overstocked. Your system is most likely headed for a crash if the stock is not reduced. The bio filter cannot hope to keep up with those types of fish as well as the very potential aggression that will follow as these fish mature.

Cheers
Steve

Old 08-03-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Munskins
You guys never seem to answer the real question. Same solution every time: You are overcrowding, bla bla bla... The tank is not going downhill. Its been up for more than 3 years with the same fish running on a wet/dry, uv, and a protein skimmer.

Like I have said in another thread, I have seen many people that have more advanced and more marine fish than me with the same size tank and have been raising it longer than me.

Steve, a niger won't get to that size in a 55gal aquarium no matter how long it lives.

You guys are quite predictable. Please read more books on aquariums and find more solutions to problems other than overcrowding.

This will be the last time Ill be at this useless forum.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:58 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Im sorry you did not get the answers you where seaking.

MIght I recommend www.reefcentral.com to you as an additional source of online info.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:14 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
You guys are quite predictable. Please read more books on aquariums and find more solutions to problems other than overcrowding.
Please point me to one source that recommends or encourages your kind of stocking for an aquarium, besides your LFS buddies It ain't gonna happen, know why, cause no one endorses such hogwash.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 08-04-2003, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
ouch
Old 08-04-2003, 02:08 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munskins
Steve, a niger won't get to that size in a 55gal aquarium no matter how long it lives.
The only way that will ever be accomplished is to drastically control the feeding of the animals. That is akin to abuse IMO. It is also very unhealthy to restrict the natural developement of your animals as well as eventually shortening their life span.

Closed Thread

Tags
long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com