how long until lace rock is live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I know that the time could vary depending on many things but given tank parameters are average and the ratio was 50/50 (lace/live) roughly how long would it take for your lace rock to become "live"?

Mrc8858 said:
Ok so I know that the time could vary depending on many things but given tank parameters are average and the ratio was 50/50 (lace/live) roughly how long would it take for your lace rock to become "live"?

Well live rock is live because of the BB on it. So if by live you mean the BB spreading on it, it would probably take a week or 2 to spread. If you mean seeing growth on it, it takes a little longer.

BallinCrew10 said:
Well live rock is live because of the BB on it. So if by live you mean the BB spreading on it, it would probably take a week or 2 to spread. If you mean seeing growth on it, it takes a little longer.

Ya I'm talking more along the lines of BB for an example like how long would it take til that lace rock could be used to cycle a new tank...but on another note what are the best conditions to help coraline spread and at what rate should I expect...I've heard that light actually slows it down, is this true?

Mrc8858 said:
Ya I'm talking more along the lines of BB for an example like how long would it take til that lace rock could be used to cycle a new tank...but on another note what are the best conditions to help coraline spread and at what rate should I expect...I've heard that light actually slows it down, is this true?

Well it should be live in a week or 2 if you have a strong bio load.

Coralline is a whole new can of worms lol. There are several factors in growing coralline. It also needs to be introduced to the system, either by a piece of LR that has it on it or by scraping it from an established tank, it wont just show up on its own. Light helps it grow. I've actually found that as my bulbs got older I saw more growth. It will grow in high and low light areas but from my experiences it definitely doesn't hurt it. Its a calcium based algae so your calcium levels will need to be in check. This opens up a whole chemistry conversation about the relationship of dkh, calcium..blah blah lol. Ideal water conditions overall will also help.

Soo in the short answer..light, calcium, good water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom