Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
How long will copper stay in a tank?

So my 10 gallon used to be a planted FW and had a huge snail problem. Granted it was frozen and then emptied fully i made sure there were no last hitchhikers left and used some copper based ICk treatment on the tank while i've gotten it setup and am just running carbon through it right now.

All that being said would it be safe to start up a 10 gallon FOWLR setup? or should I keep up water changes and constant carbon for a few more weeks/month? (currently been up for 1 month with about 15 water changes of 75% and numerous gravel vacuums). If there is still some copper present in the tank will it kill off any coraline items (i believe thats the correct term, algae inverts and stuff associated to grow on live rock with proper lighting)

flip_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
GAC may get some out of the water, but not out of the tank's seals. There is a product that mey remover some of the copper, but I can't find the specific name of it. Hopefully someone can ID it for you. I think Hara knows what it is.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
IMO, I suggest getting a new 10 gal before introducing LR. I would also not use any equipment that has been exposed to copper. It will kill coral and other inverts such as pods, worms, etc.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote

long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com