How many anemones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rocketman

Hi guys.I am planning to start a clownfish tank.Well i did not get any mated pair and am planning to have four fishes which would eventually form pairs.Well do i need to have two anemones one for each pair?I do know that the anemones would fight.Help me please.
PS:I cannot maintain two tanks(one for each pair)

You don't need anemones for the clowns. Anemones need to be in a mature tank and generally have a poor survival rate in captivity. The clowns will breed and be quite happy without one.

I just wanted to add that not only do they not need anemones, you don't have to buy four either just to have a mated pair. All you have to do purchase two small juveniles and they will change sex as needed. The more dominant fish will grow into the female and the smaller will remain a male. Or you can buy a large one (already female) and add a small juvenile.

I would also encourage you to purchase Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfishes book as a reference for your clownfish journey. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom