Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How many days do you wait for a NEW fish?

Is the grace period about 10-14 days? b/c of the ammonia--->nitrite---->nitrate cycle

Does it matter if the fish are small or large the cycle and days are still the same?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can add fish when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and ~40 ppm nitrates. How big is your tank? The cycle takes as long as how much of a bacteria source you have. What do you have in there?

After I first cycled my tank, I added 9 SMALL fish at once and I've never had a problem since. Now I have 13.

EDIT: Upon re-reading maybe you've already cycled? If so, you shouldn't have to wait to add a new fish. If you have a sufficient biofilter, you should be fine.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I wouldn't put 9 fish iin a newly cycled SW tank. You can add 2-4 (depending on what fish). The beneficial bacteria needs time to adjust to the new bio-load.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If your tank is established then you should wait at least 2 weeks between adding another fish (or 2), but preferably about a month. As Scott said the tank needs to adjust to the increased bioload.

I would strongly suggest that you QT all new fish for a month before adding them to the tank. That involves having a QT tank ready and a filter 'simmering' in the main tank for an instant cycle in the QT tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh shoot--sorry!! I didn't even look to see that this was posted in SW. Yikes. Never mind anything I said. LOL. I'm at work and frazzled, so probably wasn't smart to try and be smart.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

No problem Andrea. LOL I agree with the others that your tank has to catch up with your bioload. Add your fish sparingly.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Don't sweat it Andrea, I have had the same issues as well!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Saltwater or freshwater, rules still apply. I would do as Cmor suggested in waiting 2 weeks if not 1 month to allow your benthic faunas to populate before adding fish that prey upon them. How many fish to introduce depends on what species you are interested in. For example, an animal that gets over 5" you'd probably be better off adding one to see how your new system reacts, but some animals may do better as a pair or even in harems (4+)...

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com