Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How many fish? : 15 Gallon

How many fish would ya'll recommend for a 15 gallon tank. It is 24 inches long and 12 inches deep. An AGA standard size 15G.

I am definitely going to put a pair of Ocellaris Clowns in the tank. I was wondering though how many more fish I could add. I really like the color and size of the Royal Gramma. I have also read a lot of interesting opinions about the lawnmower blenny. Could I have all four? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and I was wondering while ya'll are reading this to recommend numbers in a cleanup crew too.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you're going to like the answers you get!

Seems to me the MOST you'd want to put in there would be two clowns. Many will probably say that one clown will max it out.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The clowns are going to be it. You will not want a lawnmower blenny esp. in a small tank like that. They need a good size tank that has algea growing in it. Even if you did have it in a tank that size then it would be gone quickly and it would starve to death. I`have known several people that got one and they lost it due to starvation.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wow. Those were hard to read I must say. Thanks for the honest answers though. Could I at least put a cleaner shrimp in there with the clowns?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes you could

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cleaner shrimp don't add to the bioload, and in a small tank like yours, would be a great idea. They'll help keep the place tidy by eating any leftovers. Regarding the cleanup crew, I'm no expert, but I'd say maybe 3 snails to start with and then add a couple more if it seems like they're not keeping up. I had 2 snails in my 10g quarantine for quite a while and they stayed alive just fine.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with the fellas. I'd only add a pair of clowns to that tank. What do you guys think about a small goby though? I think something like a clown goby, neon goby, even a shrimp goby maybe would be fine.

You can really do up a tank nicely with inverts! A cleaner shrimp would be awesome.

As for a clean up crew, I love nassarius snails. Astreas as well. I dislike hermits, beacause they like to eat snails sometimes. Astreas seem to scour the rock really well, as well as the glass.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would say maybe two clons is pushing it. I would say a small damsel and some snails and a cleaner shrimp would be cool.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsuperduty
I would say maybe two clowns is pushing it.
I agree. It may work for a short while, but fully grown that's 6 inches of stout fish, more if you get something other than Perculas. It might be tough for a 15g to keep up with that bioload. I would recommend one true Percula clown, and maybe a pair of neon(Oceanops or similar size) or clown gobies instead.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I agree that if you are dead set on getting clowns that two of those fish is all a 15 gal can handle and even that will be pushing it IMO.

I'd also look at Live Aquaria's nano fish section if you decide you want something other then clowns. You could keep 3 small skinny fish versus two stocky clowns which might be worth considering since the bio-load would be very similar.

Main concern is being able to maintain appropriate water parameters without large pwc and also not having too many fish suck up the available oxygen if you have a power outage.

Once you do a fishless cycle you can add 1-2 small fish to start and possibly 1 more after a couple of weeks depending on the type you choose.

I wouldn't add more then 2-4 hermits/snails to start with. Up to 6-8 hermits/snails once your tank matures more.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 gallon, 5 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com