Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2003, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many fish can I keep in a 45 gallon reef tank??

Let me say WOW!!! What a great site. I have had a reef for over 2 years and I could have saved myself hundreds in lost fish and corals if I would have found this site sooner. Anyway heres the question, I have a 45 gallon reef tank with at least 40 lbs of live rock which is completely covered with over 30 diff types of animals. I currently have a blue powder tang, coral beauty, fire fish, clown, pajama card, blue spotted jaw, and a blue damsel, black star & black sea slug.& Mics critters I want to add a two anthias but want to be sure I dont over do it and stress the current inhabitants. How many is to many??

Old 11-12-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well technically your only supposed to have 9 inches of fish minus the tail (go to the calculator section of the site, it tells you this) in a 45 gal tank, so you technically have too many fish in there as it is, especially with the powder blue tang wich needs a lot more swimming space than a 45 provides.

i would really recomend not getting any other fish for that tank.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, you are maxed out right now. You will need to find a new home for that Tang once it begins to grow as you won't be providing it with enough room to move around.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Ditto what the others said, I'd say your overstocked now...but what an excuse to upgreade to a 125g reef

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
If you moved the Powder Blue to a larger tank I think the current inhabitants would be a good mix, and you could put the anthias in the bigger tank with the Tang. I know that sounds like a large investment, but the guys are right, especially with all the other fish, the PBT will not be happy very long.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I have to agree with Reefrunner I have been thinking about up grading to a 90 gallon tank. Can anyone direct me to any good articles on how to make the switch. How long do I need to let the new tank sit before I can more rocks from the old that kind of thing??
Old 11-12-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

If you get a new tank, you would want to cure the rock in the tank and once the levels have reached 0 you could do the switch over. I would acclimate all corals and fish to the new tank slowly.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
45 gallon, 5 gallon, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com