how many new fish at once??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a rule of thumb about this?? My new 120 has 9 fish all small under one inch and I am only going with small non aggressive fishs. I have 2 occ clowns, 3 high fin cards, copper banded butterfly, barletts anth, bi color, I want to add 2 barletts, 2 fire fish, 2 purple fish and a small hippo. Can I safely do it all at once?? my water levels have never been better....

The only rule of thumb that I've heard regarding this is that you should not add more than 50% of your total fish length at a time. So, if you have 10 inches of fish, you shouldn't add more than another 5 inches at a time. Of course, when you have a very small stock of fish in the tank this doesn't really apply. I only have a 42 gallon tank, so when I was stocking the tank, I would try to keep it down to one fish a month or so. (I wasn't very disciplined about this, but I tried!)

I am doing an overnight order from the doctors and with the acros, hermits, zenia, & 3 clams I really want to get the additional fishes. I just dont want them to die. I think with 120 & 30 more in sy ref. I should be ok but want to be sure..

I"m not expert but I think that many fish at once may spike your ammonia/nitrite levels a bit until your biological filtration can catch up. Are you going to put them in a Q tank or right to your display?

Back
Top Bottom