Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How many snails?

Hey. I turned my lights on very early before work today just to have a quick look and see if there were any critters I don't normally see and I seem to have alot of small turbo snail every where, and I mean alot from 2 millimetres to 5 millimetres, I used to have a few big Tubos but they died for unknown reasons, I put it down to my two electric blue hermits, they are huge.
Any way will this infestation cause a problem? I dont want my clean up crew to start to die off because of a lack of food.... My live rock is really clean, could this be down to all these little snails?

My clean up crew :
2 electric blue hermits
3 dwarf blue leg hermits
1 blood shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
Sand shifting starfish
2 conch snails
3 Banded Trochus Snail
And I got 5 super tongan Nassarius Snail ( they were on offer and looked really cool) I think 5 might be a little to much.

I have 46g-180l bow front corner tank, 22 kg-48lb live rock 2inch sand bed
Although none have died in the last 6 months in a little concerned with the infestation of tiny Tubo snails, what do you think?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you sure they are turbo snails and not some other kind? I have a bunch of tiny oblong looking snails throughout my tank and sump and they have been fine.

As far as your cuc it looks good. I'd be watching the sand sifting star fish though, they have an awful time surviving in home aquariums due to lack of food. Plus when they die they burrow under the sand and will rot away unseen. :-(

Old 11-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for your time replying, yes they look like you described so I'll just keep an eye on them,

Concerning the star fish I have read up about them and heard they can rot under the sand, I feed my cuc with a marine pellet ever other day, will the starfish eat these? I watch my shrimps and hermits feed but never know where the starfish is :/

Thanks

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com