How many tangs is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chase33

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I like the Sailfin, Purple, and the Desjardini Tangs. Is a 120g tank large enough for Tangs, and how many? Can the three be kept together?

A 120 is large enough for MOST tangs as long as it is 6 ft long. My only concern with your list is that all mentioned are of the same body shape. It would be better if you had lets say...a naso with a desjardini, for example.

My 120g is 4'x2'x2'. It is not 6' long. I don't have to have all three. I like all three and was wondering if the tank could house all three comfortably.

IMO, there are very few tangs that would belong in a tank only 4 ft long. The yellow, scopas, and kole tangs come to mind. The larger tangs really need more swimming room then a 4ft tank would provide.

I was going to suggest a yellow and a Kole tang. That would be a good combo for a 4 ft tank.

We kept a happy yellow and purple in our 4' 120 tank. There was a couple of hours when the purple was first introduced that there was a little tension, but they worked it out fairly quickly and were happy ever after.

The only concern would be the large size Z. desjardinii and Z. veliferum attain not to mention full fin extensions. You could probably get by with a single Z. desjardinii or Z. veliferum and Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang. He may only have 4ft, but he does have 2ft in width and height to make up for that.

Even though he does have the extra width and height IMO I believe the length is more important than the other two. A six foot length would suit a tang that needs plenty of swimming room more than the other two. But of course that is JMO.

I have had a Sailfin Tang for about 7 years now, she was pretty small when i got her and lived in a 45G aquarium for about 3 years. Her growth was one of my excuses to upgrade that tank to a 75G where she has been for the last 4 years. She is now about 7" in size and gets around nicely in the 75G but would love a larger swimming area length wise the height of the aquarium is enough for her but a sprint from one side to the other just is not enough exercise so she is gaining weight. :)

Back
Top Bottom