How much can this thing eat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojoreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK its been a while since I have kept a large Tang and this Vlamingii is a down right pig. He is consuming about an Ice cube sized chuck of blender mush and 6, 14 inch peices of romaine lettuce a day.
My question is is the lettuce in that amount to much?? I tried nori (couple of kinds ) but he is not into it.

Whatya think

Mike

I have heard romaine is not good for tangs, the cell walls are too thick or some such, but that you can aid the tang by freezing the romaine prior to feeding it to the tang, when it thaws out the cell walls will be broken down.

I would say that that much romaine is not good for the tang for a prolonged period of time, I would continue trying the nori, perhaps even attatching a piec of nori to a piece of romaine. or wrap the romaine in a piece of nori, so to get to the romaine...it has to go through the nori.

Hehehe, that fish is gonna end up eating you outta house and home at that rate ;)

Thanks Kev I kinda remembered something about romaine but couldnt recall it. Yep he is a pig. On a good note I have had a ongoing battle with razor calurpa for about 6 years. I have blow torched it, tweer extration, dark tub for 2 months and nothing could touch this stuff, I had given up. The this big fella ate it all in one day, I mean all. ...God I love that fish :D . I will try the nori again, I have a friend in the keys maybe I will get him to send me a barbage bag of lettuce algae.

Mike

My LFS tells me to freeze romaine before feeding it to my yellow tang as well for the same reasons RR said. Just put a head in the freezer and break it off as needed. I usually alternate between the lettuce and seaweed salad, which both the tang and the algae blenny love.

Back
Top Bottom