Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

For a deep sand bed that is used for denitration this may be true. But for all other sand beds this does not apply. Also DSB's can be disturbed in small sections safely.
I just use nass snails they move the sand around in small amounts im sure releasing nutrients into the water for my chaeto to consume so i guess their keeping it clean if you dont have inverts moving sand around i guess it would make since to manually clean it just seems easier to throw some sifters in there i also used to have a sleeper goby that constantly sifted the sand until my emerald crab caught it when the goby died i had small cyano outbreaks every other month untill i "hired" the nass snails

Old 08-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefishys View Post
I still highly suggest you get some sort of filtration and clean the sand! Snails are not enough to clean and remove bacteria from the sand. I would recommend doing a water change at least once a week if you do not have filtration for your system.
Umm... Why? Snails, hermits, and worms do a very fine job of cleaning the sand, but why would you want to remove bacteria from it?
Live Rock is the filtration. With my refugium, this is supplemented by macro algae. That, as it turns out, is all the filtration I need. My levels are super stable, and I know many aquarists who are jealous of my steadily low Nitrate levels.
Cleaning the sand bed is overrated. I consider it to be a chore for freshwater tanks, and tanks with insufficient CUC inverts.
The purpose of water changes is to replenish trace elements and to dilute (through removal) dissolved nutrients. If nutrients are consistently low, and you are able to measure with trace elements need replenishment, water changes can be done much less frequently.
I'm not calling this "good" behavior, or billing it as the best way to run a SW tank. I'm just saying that if you do everything *just* right, SW tanks, even reef tanks, can be very low maintenance.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor

Umm... Why? Snails, hermits, and worms do a very fine job of cleaning the sand, but why would you want to remove bacteria from it?
Live Rock is the filtration. With my refugium, this is supplemented by macro algae. That, as it turns out, is all the filtration I need. My levels are super stable, and I know many aquarists who are jealous of my steadily low Nitrate levels.
Cleaning the sand bed is overrated. I consider it to be a chore for freshwater tanks, and tanks with insufficient CUC inverts.
The purpose of water changes is to replenish trace elements and to dilute (through removal) dissolved nutrients. If nutrients are consistently low, and you are able to measure with trace elements need replenishment, water changes can be done much less frequently.
I'm not calling this "good" behavior, or billing it as the best way to run a SW tank. I'm just saying that if you do everything *just* right, SW tanks, even reef tanks, can be very low maintenance.
Never once touched the sand lol my nass snails do a great job stirring the sand ive never even heard of anyone cleaning the sand but to each their own good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120818_224111.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	113406  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Never once touched the sand lol my nass snails do a great job stirring the sand ive never even heard of anyone cleaning the sand but to each their own good luck
Man!! I've said it before and I'll say it again!! SICK TANK!! Just sick!!

On topic now. I never touch my sand either. Just 5 gallon water changes every week. I just tossed my skimmer also.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Man!! I've said it before and I'll say it again!! SICK TANK!! Just sick!!

On topic now. I never touch my sand either. Just 5 gallon water changes every week. I just tossed my skimmer also.
Thanks!! Nothin in there was bigger than1"-1 1/2" frag its 3 years old now im gettin ready to frag it all down move to 150 waitin on 150 to cycle also once i put a calcium reactor on there growth rate doubled i attribute this to stabile alk and cal we had a good run

Tags
maintain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com