Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How much care/maintainence?

So I'm trying to convince someone to let me get a Salt tank going, specifically a FOWLR build. I think I've gotten past most of the hurdles, and they love the way aquariums look and stuff. However the last hurdle seems to be care and maintenance. From what I've read once you setup a salt tank the care/maint is really easy right? Just monitor levels, do a PWC every week or two, and obviously feed the fish.

Like compared to a FW you don't really have to vacuum up poop from the sand like if you used gravel. And the LR means you don't really have to change filter wheels and stuff correct?

Obviously that's assuming it's setup right with ample flow, LR, Sand, cleaning crew, etc.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A FOWLR setup is pretty much exactly like a FW setup in terms of maintenance.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
A FOWLR setup is pretty much exactly like a FW setup in terms of maintenance.
Well maybe I should rephrase my question then... if you set it up with enough LR and a sand bed do you need some kind of mechanical filtration? I mean can you even vacuum sand like you can the gravel in a FW? And if you have cleaners like shrimp and crabs do you need to really worry much about like cleaning the LR of anything?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have to do everything that a freshwater tank requires. Since in saltwater tank live rock is the biological filter. Bio-wheels/biomedia etc is not really used or does not have much of a purpose.

However, saltwater fish are fragile in comparison to freshwater fish when it comes to tolerating pollutants such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so usually that also means more maintenance.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
You have to do everything that a freshwater tank requires. Since in saltwater tank live rock is the biological filter. Bio-wheels/biomedia etc is not really used or does not have much of a purpose.

However, saltwater fish are fragile in comparison to freshwater fish when it comes to tolerating pollutants such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so usually that also means more maintenance.
What kind of maintenance are we talking about though? Like I think the main thing they are worried about is cleaning filters and not so much checking levels of things in the water. Possibly vacuuming out the tank too, though I know a PWC is pretty easy to do.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I change my filter sock every day... A little over the top but that's cause I have upgraded mu pump and realize that I need to split some of the flow so I plan to make a refuge and that should help everything
Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I'll admit to being a bit lazy with my tank. I top off, but do an actual PWC maybe once a month. I just dose Essential Elements and a liquid calcium supplement every couple of weeks.
I never clean the sand. That's what bristle worms and snails are for.
I have no mechanical filtration, in general.
It should be noted, however, I that I am running a rather hefty refugium with tons of macro and lots of little inverts.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I still highly suggest you get some sort of filtration and clean the sand! Snails are not enough to clean and remove bacteria from the sand. I would recommend doing a water change at least once a week if you do not have filtration for your system.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefishys
I still highly suggest you get some sort of filtration and clean the sand! Snails are not enough to clean and remove bacteria from the sand. I would recommend doing a water change at least once a week if you do not have filtration for your system.
Never touch established sandbed i have 25 tongan nassarius snails to keep it stirred if you want a low maintenance tank you need good skimmer adequate flow and refugium for nutrient export and water changes with a good salt mine being a 55g sps dominant i also use a calcium reactor i dose nothing other than feeding my fish once a day parameters are alk 12dkh calcium 420 magnesium 1350 ph 8.0 these are the main important parameters
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Never touch established sandbed.
For a deep sand bed that is used for denitration this may be true. But for all other sand beds this does not apply. Also DSB's can be disturbed in small sections safely.

Tags
maintain

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com