How much circulation is to much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100 gallon tank 5 feet long, 20 inches high. and i have 2 circulation pumps rated at 950 GPh. is this too much? i feel likes its a bit of over kill.

I have a 90 gallon reef tank with two 1050s, so I think you are fine :) as long as the fish are not struggling you are ok.

I have 2 1400's in my 125g and a return of about 1200gph and my tank does just fine. :-D

In my opinion you really can't have enough flow, well most of the time LOL

it all depends what you want from your system, with some LPS corals, if the flow is to high you can pull the flesh off the skeleton but when it comes to SPS corals you may need up to 50x the turn over

I have 2 1400's in my 125g and a return of about 1200gph and my tank does just fine. :-D

In my opinion you really can't have enough flow, well most of the time LOL
I agree with this..They are used to tides and currents we could never duplicate

I agree with this..They are used to tides and currents we could never duplicate

the deeper the reef is the less those tides and currents are, also the reasons SPS like high currents and high light, because they usually grow closer to the waters surface where the light and currents are stronger

a basic rule of thumb is start with 10x the tank volume for a FOWLR, when you go reef soem corals require higher flow so you could bump it upt to 20 or 30 times so in a 100g that is 60" long you might want to go with two 1200 on either end and two 750s in the middle pointing to the from corners of the tank and at the surface to give more surface agitation

The only problem with using that much is, it kicks up the sand in the corners of my tank and ill have no sand in those area's.

it all depends what you want from your system, with some LPS corals, if the flow is to high you can pull the flesh off the skeleton but when it comes to SPS corals you may need up to 50x the turn over

I'd say this. Depends on what you have in your DT.

The amount of flow you have isn't enough for sps, good for lps and great for keeping the tank clean and oxygenated.

Just stick a mercury outboard motor on the side of the tank with the prop in the water.... all the flow you'd ever need

I have four 1400 korillas in my 125 but also am running a bare bottom tank and everything is loving it no dead spots.. Plus a spray bar with two maxijets so flow.is a good thing i say overdose it lol.. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom