how much do you pay for live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
i know they're a bunch of choices (carribean LR, Fiji LR...) but if you could state what you have, and how much it cost you, share it. i know i've seen unmarked cured LR at the LFS for $4.99/lb

as some of you know, i plan on starting a marine tank eventually, and would apprecate any replies

LR varies greatly depending on location. Where I am (Boston) LR is about $7.50 to $10.00 per lb.

If I could start over I would go with dry base and a few pounds of LR to seed, or half and half. Some of the dryrock is great as far as shape and being pourus and cheaper plus being able to take you time to shape it how you want.

I bought my liverock (which is Florida Aquacultured rock, before Katrina wiped it all out) for $7.99/lb. Today, my LFS carries Tonga and Fiji rock for $9.99/lb.

I am going with 150LBs of base and about 100Lbs of LR. My LFS sells cured LR for $8.99/Lbs. I have seen it around here for up to $12.99!
I am planning on ordering my base from here:
http://www.marcorocks.com/

Base rock is just rock that not in water. It should be a porous rock so that bacteria can grow in it. Once the base rock is in water and there is a source of nitrogen bacteria starts to grow and walla its lr. You can use all base rock and start your cycle, you won't be writing about how quick your cycle went. and it will take longer for algae to establish itself in the tank. will come in on snail shells and hermit crabs but it will grow. Question is how quickly do you want that color and how much are you willing to pay for it.
Me I bought 1 piece of live rock gave me something to look at. Then added base rock then went to making my own rock because its even cheaper and you can customize it.

Oh forgot to answer your question br is about $2/lb. That why lfs prefer to sell lr. Drop it in there tank for a couple of weeks and price triples.

Most people use BR and LR as it will be cheaper and you`ll reap the benefits of little critters in your tank. I wish I knew about BR when I started my tank. 200 lbs X 8.99 a lb = Shock

Yeah, tec, that's where I saw his ad. I have been emailing him. He is quick to respond and very nice. I like the little demo they have on their website, too.

gobias101 said:
it says that it is Driftwood Live Base Rock then it says that it is fully cured. so does that mean that it still needs to be seeded with expensive live rock or is it ok to just get all my required rock of this stuff?
I ran across that website as well. "Driftwood LIVE BASE Rock" seems like a very strange combo. Base rock is not live, nor cured. Driftwood, I know what that is, driftwood, but in this case, I have no clue how driftwood could be rock or live, unless it is petified wood....It sure doesn't look very porous, either.
Maybe someone that has ordered from there, might be able to shed more light.

I got half of my rock for $4/lb online and the other half locally for $4/lb as well. The stuff I got locally is really cool. Its like a deep blue rock on the inside. I forgot where he got it from though. The stuff I got online was alright but nothing to bragg about. I think I got it from oceanpro aquatics.

I've been very happy w/ my Fiji LR from marinedepotlive.com. It's very porous and covered w/ life. I've had it for 3 years now. You can get it these days for about $4 a lb. including shipping.

The LFS here in the windy city charge around $8.99/lb for Fiji live rock. The base rock seems to work great after some time, but I wonder if you make your own designs using a stainless steel bolt and concrete to piece the base rocks together, how does that affect your water chemistry and is it healthy for the fishes? That's the only reason I haven't plunged into the base rock myself just yet.

I just bought 120 lbs of medium size fiji branch live rock and 35-40 base rock. the live rock was 300 with tax and base was .99 a pound. i got it at a lfs and was very suprised to see such a good deal.

I think my ex got our carribean LR online for about 3.99LB with free shipping. And I also have fiji LR I payed 7.99LB for at the LFS. Here they sale LR based on how much you buy- If you buy 20LB you get it for 6.99LB, 40LB 5.99LB and 75LB and up is only 4.99LB at our LFS. BR here is 1.99LB. Also you could look into making aragocrete rock, thats what I am doing. It runs about 50 cents a pound.

just visited another LFS today. they have some Fiji LR, more colorful than the other LFS, but most of it is covered in dense algae.

just to try it, i asked for a discount, but they said no

heres my next question, should i worry about the algae if i get some? my tank is up against a north window, so it wont get the beatings of the sun.

its the thick hairy algae, ive never had algae really, at least not like this, so im not familiar with how much light it will need to sustain/die. there will not be a light on this tank, just the window, and a lamp

im planning on getting clown fish, and maybe a watchman goby, and i dont think either have a particular love of it.

thanks

check out my 20 fowlr launching thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89876

Back
Top Bottom