How much flow is too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Racerx094

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that is going to be a reef tank I have a reef octopus HB 1000 protein skimmer and a eheim 2217 canister filter and two sets of powerheads to choose from hydor koralia 3 850's and jbj 500's I was wondering what set of PowerHeads do you guys think would be the best

Me personally I like a lot of flow so I would go with the 850's(750's). You should be able to place them so that there isnt a sandstorm. :)

With both hydors on my clowns look like they are having a hard time getting around

Try to find the sweet spot. It's there somewhere. lol I was using 2 750's on my 29g tank and never had any fish have a problem with the flow. It can be done, just keep playing with it. This is a great time to make sure that there are no "dead spots" on the sand or rock, you can even have one powerhead glancing off the rocks. I usually go with one on either side both pointing upwards and towards the front glass. You might wanna try that, it will buffer the current a bit. :)

I had a 40 breeder and had four 750gph power heads in it and I was thinking i could use a bit more. there wasn't a whole lot of rock though, mostly eggcrate.

was an SPS frag tank wasn't it :p
i have two 550 koralia evos with a 425 koralia nano in my 26g for a grand total of 1525 gph of flow for a grand total of 58x turn over rate

Just did the math with the two powerheads canister filter and protein skimmer I'm at 2152 gallons per hour

Back
Top Bottom