How much is a good amount of Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kam

Aquarium Advice Activist
I plan on ordering from Liverocks.com next week. I am looking for an idea of about how much to order. I have a 55 gallon tank and it currenly has 55 pounds of crused coral and about 15 pounds of live (not so alive) rock from the local fish store.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!!

Avg. seems to be anywhere from 1-1 1/2 Lbs per gallon. I've even heard 2 but well...LR isnt cheap.

I have a 50Gal tank with 65Lbs LR and I'd say I could use a little more cause My tank sitll looks a little empty.

Try 75Lbs and see how your tank looks.

I think that it is up to what you want to do with the tank. If you are looking to have serious coral and less fish I would put more rock in. If you want more fish and less coral I would leave space for activity while keeping plenty of hiding spots for your fish.

I was thinking about 1 pound per gallon +/- a few pounds. With the 15 pounds I have adding 50-60 more should be fine.

I am starting with a Fish only tank with Live Rock due to my lack of proper lighting. Down the line I plan to overhaul the lighting and then do a lot with corals.

Again, thanks !!

If I were you I would go with 75# of rock total. You already have 15 so I would get another 35 base rock and 25 Keys rock from LR.com. The 25# will do well to seed the base rock and you'll be covered in coraline head to toe in no time. I started with 100# of base and added 60# of live and you'd never know the difference on some of these pieces today. With bits and pieces that I've added over the last few months I probably have close to 200# of live rock in my tank.

As for lighting you'd be surprised what I have thriving on my tank with 4x65w over a 120g tank. Take a look at my sig for ideas.

VERY impressive.

My "challenge" is that I have the standard 55 gallon two single 24" bulb hoods. The current lighting is standard florescent aquarium bulbs. I could get 50/50 bulbs but I am having trouble finding out if they are any good or just a gimmick. I am not a good DIY kinda guy so I am looking to find a new hood that will allow me to use better lighting. Thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom