Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
The one at the diyreef.com site? You will love it. I had to rebuild my canopy this weekend so it would fit. Other than that, it is exactly what I was looking for. If you like the shimmer effect, this one is nice with a hint of blue in it.
You won't find it at that price anywhere locally, at least not around here.

Mike
Yep, you inspired me. I rebuilt my hood this weekend also. I'm still covering it with urethane to make sure it doesn't warp, but it's looking good. Tall enough to keep the MH about 12" above the top of the water. I love the shadowy, shimmering look, so I know I'll love it. The cheapest I found for a simlilar retro was $189 and I was about to order when you posted the DIYreef link. Perfect timing.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats about where I have mine mounted. I have the back of the canopy opened so the hot air can escape. What I did was point a PH towards the surface of the so it would have a rippling effect. When the light shines in, it looks like sun rays in the tank. Spectacular!
My hood didn't come out the same color as the original, but I will rebuild another later..I just wanted to start using it so my wife would leave me alone about it being on the dining room table. lol
btw: they will ship it pretty quick..I got mine within 3 days.
Mike

Old 11-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right on. I'll probably get mine tonight then.

The back of my hood is mostly open but I have 2 fans on the way too, just in case. I now have to find a way to fit actinic fixtures in there also.

Thanks for the heads-up on that deal too.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fortunately, I was able to install my Coralife 4x65w retro along with the MH retro. It was a tight fit, but I was able to do it. I am going to try and DIY my fans since I have access to some server fans here. Just need to convert them.

I am always looking for good (cheap) deals. I'll post any on this forum if it looks good.

Mike

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com