Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much light is necessary?

I generally get home from work at 6:45pm. The lights on my 125 run from 6:00pm to about 10:30pm. The corals all look very healthy and nice.

I'm setting up a 44 gallon reef tank and have a 250w MH lamp on the way. I'm starting to regret getting that much light now for several different reasons - electricity, heat - for example. Although I really like the acroporas I could keep in this tank.

I'm thinking of running the MH on this tank from 6:45 to 10:00 - or about 3 hours and 15 minutes. I may put some small actinic PCs which would run an additional hour. Is this enough light for acropora and other corals in general?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definately not. They need 10 to 12 hours on average.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would stongly agree, they need muc more light.

We are trying to mimic nature as best as possible, sunrise to sunset.

Hey if you want to make a deal on the MH for a pc swap, and cash, let me know.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The PC lamp would have to fit a very difficult tank - a 44 pentagon. It's maybe 23" across the top at it's furthest points and just as deep as a 125. I've found no PC lamps to fit this tank - unless I crammed 5-6 mini PC 26w lights into the homemade hood.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 11-01-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrikat
Definately not. They need 10 to 12 hours on average.
10-12? Wow. My others do very well with 4-5 hours. 10-12 hours for both tanks would run me maybe $100 per month in electricity.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 11-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

coralife has a pc unit in 20" or 24" that has between 36w and 130 watts depending on number of bulbs " Coralife Aqualight" And yes, no one ever said that saltwater was cheap.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That coralife aqualight is perfect. Where were you last week before I ordered the MH?

I have a feeling once I see the MH in the tank I won't want to give it up though.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 11-01-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will love the way the MH looks over the tank. What bulb did you get with it?

Mike
Old 11-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The 14000k bulb. I got that incredible deal for $149 complete. The guy at the LFS couldn't believe that price although he isn't a fan of MH.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Old 11-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The one at the diyreef.com site? You will love it. I had to rebuild my canopy this weekend so it would fit. Other than that, it is exactly what I was looking for. If you like the shimmer effect, this one is nice with a hint of blue in it.
You won't find it at that price anywhere locally, at least not around here.

Mike

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com