How much live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve9k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've reached the point where I'm ready to order live rock for my 75gal. tank. My question is -- how much? My LFS guy sez 1 lb. per gallon. I've been eyeing Tampa Bay Saltwater's "package", but their formula calls for 2 lb. per gallon. That seems like a bit much to me (unless their rock is very dense). Anyone have experience with their formula? I don't want the tank clogged with rock (the fishies will need swimming room) but I don't want to underestimate too much either.

1 lb / gallon would be anough but not totally full. 1.5/gallon is more of a reef setup, but starting to look filled. The density will change this a little too though so keep that in mind. If cost is an issue, you could always add cheaper base rock and just add 0.5 lb / gallon to that and let it seed the tank.

hope that helps. Have a look in the gallery of peoples 75 gallon tanks. Many of them say how much live rock they have so you can judge what you need for the look you are after...

Hi Steve, Welcome to AquariumAdvice .com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
For the best biological filtration benefits of LR, shot for 1.5-2lbs/gal. Density does vary, but that is a good general rule. For some of the best aquacultured LR check out www.liverocks.com
It is pretty exspensive to start with all LR, so yo may want ot consider a combo of LR and base rock. A 50/50 ratio will eventually give you a nie LR. Check out www.hicocks.com for some cheap base rock.

I started with a medium amount that I had to cure. Then I added one pice at a timetill i got the desired amount. When you add one piece at a time every month it wont cause an ammonia spike. Take your time is the best advice. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom