Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
How Much LR per Gallon?

I will be ordering my Live Rock from liverocks.com here very soon and I was wondering how much I will really need to get.

I have a 37 gallon cube tank approx. 24 inches long, 20 inches high, and 20 inches deep.

I originally thought that 40 lbs would be good but is the rock from Liverocks.com very dense?

should I order more?

Old 08-19-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
50lbs - 60lbs is what I would order if I was you.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 115 lbs of rock in my 55 gallon, 80 of which being from liverocks.com, so roughly 2.09 lbs per gallon. I am also slowly adding smaller rocks with coral frags on them, with the end goal being about 130 lbs or liverock. The rock from liverocks.com is pretty dense and will take up less space than you think, but its awesome looking and well well well worth the money =).
3x penguin 1140 ph
2x65 10,000K and 2x65 03 Acintic
40lbs cc/30lbs argonite sand mixture
80lbs keys rock (www.liverocks.com awesome stuff)
25lbs fiji/tonga lr
10lbs lace base rock (now hapily live with lots of coraline growth)
lziarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second that.. get at least 50 lbs or you'll end up wanting more later.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most would say the more the better. That is true if you are relying on the LR for most of your bio filtration. 1.5 to 2 pounds/gal is enough for good bio filtration. It also depends on personal preference, what you think looks good. I agree with most here, Start with 50-60 lbs if you do not have any right now.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

everyone says 1-2lbs...I'd say split the difference and start with 1.5lbs per gallon...like the others in this thread mentioned.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
YOu can always add more rock. If you go and order to much then your stuck with it. Plus when it comes to getting corals and such alot of time they will come on rocks also.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
cool. thanks. I will probibly get 50 lbs then

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com