How much LR to start cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superherogirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How much live rock should I use to start the cycle?

This will be for a 46 gallon bow front...I plan to have a 2 - 3 inch live sand substrate.

The only planned filtration so far is a protein skimmer and a hob filter (in addition to the live sand and the 40 pounds of live rock).

If you plan on using the LR for biological filtration you should have 1.5 - 2 lbs per gal. Eighty pounds would be good to start. However, I only started with 20 lbs in a 40 gal to get things going. I slowly added the rest a little at a time from the cured stock at the LFS until I was up to where I needed to be. But if you can afford it, go for all of the LR at the begineing of cycling your tank. great deals on-line. That is the way I would have gone had I know about all of the opportunities on-line

i've gotten mixed reviews from articles i've read. I have plans for 50 lbs of LR. This will give me about a pound and a quarter for every gallon of water. Plus it will save me some $$$ if i order it online...50 lbs is the smallest and cheapest bulk order in which they'll pay for shipping. And hearing some people say to add it in small quantities to a new tank would kind of defeat the purpose of ordering the 50 lbs at the same time.

If you have the money go ahead and order all the rock at once. Use this rock to cycle the tank. Getting more rock at a later date will cause you to have to cure the rock seperate from your tank.

Back
Top Bottom