Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Essentially what I did in my original 10G nano tank was I bought one giant piece of live rock from the local pet store and I did a fish-in cycling; at the time I didn't know what I was doing and I realized later that it was very cruel. But back to the rock, I just added some dry lava rock off the shelf from Petco. The beneficial bacteria will propagate on the rock as others have said. I cleaned the rock well before adding it to the tank. Also, I'm just curious how you cycled your tank with those rocks? You would have had to introduce a source of ammonia to start the cycle.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Even if you buy dry rock you should cure it. When I bought some dry rock it made my ammonia skyrocket higher than my test kit could read. Thankfully I had decided to soak it before putting it in my reef.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Even if you buy dry rock you should cure it. When I bought some dry rock it made my ammonia skyrocket higher than my test kit could read. Thankfully I had decided to soak it before putting it in my reef.

Then it was live rock that was dried out. All the organics weren't rinsed out and that is why it sky rocketed. Basically it wasn't man-made rock which is normally good.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1 lbs per gal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post

Then it was live rock that was dried out. All the organics weren't rinsed out and that is why it sky rocketed. Basically it wasn't man-made rock which is normally good.
It was dry rock from bulk reef supply. It was never in a tank before. There's some locked in organics that will release ammonia from just about anything that's not man made dry rock.

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com