Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
dreamelissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: miami
Posts: 12
how much rock is too much or too little

I'm just curious.. I've seen people pile and pile up the rocks.. I have a 20g and I'm ridiculously new to all this but so far the last couple months have been a great learning experience. we test the water and do water changes and feed according. but I just want to know if we should have more rock in the tank.. we want to add coral in the future. so I wanted to know the "rules" if there were any..

20g 24x12.5x19 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403566399.661503.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	241212
__________________

__________________
dreamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bduni50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 162
Need about 1 to1.5 pounds per gallon.
__________________

__________________
bduni50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
dreamelissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: miami
Posts: 12
oh okay well snappp I have lots more rock to get. I should get it all and settled before my coral, correct?
__________________
dreamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
The tank should cycle and all before getting any livestock. You can buy dry rock as it much cheaper, and will become live anyway.
__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bduni50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
The tank should cycle and all before getting any livestock. You can buy dry rock as it much cheaper, and will become live anyway.

+1. You should do lots more search before putting in any livestock. You have it started but need to get it good and cycled. With plenty of lr. Research then research some more. I've been reading for two years and just started my own tank. Still learning and tons of questions daily. Good luck and can't wait to see your completed tank.
__________________
bduni50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
There seems to already be livestock in the tank. Can you find fully cured live rock? You can add that to an already cycled tank, I would still do little bits at a time though. The live rock provides a lot of your biological filtration, the more live rock the better I say!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
dreamelissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: miami
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
There seems to already be livestock in the tank. Can you find fully cured live rock? You can add that to an already cycled tank, I would still do little bits at a time though. The live rock provides a lot of your biological filtration, the more live rock the better I say!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yeah there's livestock.. we cycled the tank with these rocks and waited 2 months before putting anything in the tank to be safe.. but now I realize that I really want more rocks.. so yeah I was gonna look for cured rocks to put in. I just didn't know if there was a specific amount I should have put in at the initial time of my set up.. now I regret it.. I don't wanna hurt my ocellaris.
__________________
dreamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,675
how much rock is too much or too little

Just get dry rock or artificial rocks. They'll have nothing on them to die and cause a spike and will be colonized with bb over the next few months. Don't add any additional livestock for a few months so your bio filter can build up. Only thing to check for is phosphates, dry rock can leach phosphates sometimes.
Edit: rescaping will stress out the fish so make a plan before you put it in the tank, and go as fast as possible. And don't expose any of the rock currently in the tank to air.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
dreamelissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: miami
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduni50 View Post
+1. You should do lots more search before putting in any livestock. You have it started but need to get it good and cycled. With plenty of lr. Research then research some more. I've been reading for two years and just started my own tank. Still learning and tons of questions daily. Good luck and can't wait to see your completed tank.

oh I felt I did. i knew this was gonna a huge responsibility.. but I guess I definitely should have read some more. I fell in love too fast with the hobby.. I'm just glad there's sites like these. and my lfs is amazing.. I go to her almost 3 times a week just to ask her questions and to make sure my water is perfect.

and I promise I cycled the tank fully before putting anything in the tank, I just regret not having put more live rock at my initial set up. now I'm gonna have to find some cured rock.. I know I'm gonna need it.. bear with me 🙈. haha thanks so much tho.
__________________
dreamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
dreamelissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: miami
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Just get dry rock or artificial rocks. They'll have nothing on them to die and cause a spike and will be colonized with bb over the next few months. Don't add any additional livestock for a few months so your bio filter can build up. Only thing to check for is phosphates, dry rock can leach phosphates sometimes.
Edit: rescaping will stress out the fish so make a plan before you put it in the tank, and go as fast as possible. And don't expose any of the rock currently in the tank to air.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

awesome, thank you so much. definitely just screen shot this so I don't forget anything.
and I definitely don't wanna do anything to stress them out. ✌️ thank you!
__________________

__________________
dreamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much rock is too much rock? Jlabonte Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 12 02-13-2013 11:34 PM
How is my stock? (Too little, just right, too much?) follicle Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 05-21-2009 02:37 AM
Am I cleaning too much? Feeding too little? FishNewbee Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 04-04-2009 01:59 AM
Too much? Too Little? or Just right? JDogg Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 15 10-25-2006 11:45 AM
Lighting (Too Much or Too Little?!?) DHS Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 02-07-2003 05:38 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.