Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

how much rock is too much or too little

I'm just curious.. I've seen people pile and pile up the rocks.. I have a 20g and I'm ridiculously new to all this but so far the last couple months have been a great learning experience. we test the water and do water changes and feed according. but I just want to know if we should have more rock in the tank.. we want to add coral in the future. so I wanted to know the "rules" if there were any..

20g 24x12.5x19 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403566399.661503.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	241212

Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need about 1 to1.5 pounds per gallon.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #3

oh okay well snappp I have lots more rock to get. I should get it all and settled before my coral, correct?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank should cycle and all before getting any livestock. You can buy dry rock as it much cheaper, and will become live anyway.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macscale View Post
The tank should cycle and all before getting any livestock. You can buy dry rock as it much cheaper, and will become live anyway.

+1. You should do lots more search before putting in any livestock. You have it started but need to get it good and cycled. With plenty of lr. Research then research some more. I've been reading for two years and just started my own tank. Still learning and tons of questions daily. Good luck and can't wait to see your completed tank.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There seems to already be livestock in the tank. Can you find fully cured live rock? You can add that to an already cycled tank, I would still do little bits at a time though. The live rock provides a lot of your biological filtration, the more live rock the better I say!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
There seems to already be livestock in the tank. Can you find fully cured live rock? You can add that to an already cycled tank, I would still do little bits at a time though. The live rock provides a lot of your biological filtration, the more live rock the better I say!

yeah there's livestock.. we cycled the tank with these rocks and waited 2 months before putting anything in the tank to be safe.. but now I realize that I really want more rocks.. so yeah I was gonna look for cured rocks to put in. I just didn't know if there was a specific amount I should have put in at the initial time of my set up.. now I regret it.. I don't wanna hurt my ocellaris.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

how much rock is too much or too little

Just get dry rock or artificial rocks. They'll have nothing on them to die and cause a spike and will be colonized with bb over the next few months. Don't add any additional livestock for a few months so your bio filter can build up. Only thing to check for is phosphates, dry rock can leach phosphates sometimes.
Edit: rescaping will stress out the fish so make a plan before you put it in the tank, and go as fast as possible. And don't expose any of the rock currently in the tank to air.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduni50 View Post
+1. You should do lots more search before putting in any livestock. You have it started but need to get it good and cycled. With plenty of lr. Research then research some more. I've been reading for two years and just started my own tank. Still learning and tons of questions daily. Good luck and can't wait to see your completed tank.

oh I felt I did. i knew this was gonna a huge responsibility.. but I guess I definitely should have read some more. I fell in love too fast with the hobby.. I'm just glad there's sites like these. and my lfs is amazing.. I go to her almost 3 times a week just to ask her questions and to make sure my water is perfect.

and I promise I cycled the tank fully before putting anything in the tank, I just regret not having put more live rock at my initial set up. now I'm gonna have to find some cured rock.. I know I'm gonna need it.. bear with me 🙈. haha thanks so much tho.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Just get dry rock or artificial rocks. They'll have nothing on them to die and cause a spike and will be colonized with bb over the next few months. Don't add any additional livestock for a few months so your bio filter can build up. Only thing to check for is phosphates, dry rock can leach phosphates sometimes.
Edit: rescaping will stress out the fish so make a plan before you put it in the tank, and go as fast as possible. And don't expose any of the rock currently in the tank to air.

awesome, thank you so much. definitely just screen shot this so I don't forget anything.
and I definitely don't wanna do anything to stress them out. ✌️ thank you!

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com