Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How much salt in the QT?

Where should the salt level be in the QT... Its at 1021 now and the main is at 1024. Should they be the same or should I lower the QT(1021) and treat all incoming as if they have some disease until proven differently?

Old 01-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, if you're not treating for a specific affliction with hypo, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want the two tanks the same. Seems as though it would help with the transition of the fish between the two.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

So keep the QT and main at the same levels until/unless there is a specific problem...makes sense.I thought keep it lower for the transition from LFS to my QT then when ready up the salt slowly to the level of my main or would that be to stressful?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Didn't think about considering the LFS salt level for that transition too. Maybe someone else can chime in there, but I'd still lean towards keeping my two tanks the same, and if there is a big dif between your LFS and your QT, adjust the acclimation period accordingly - longer.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

You don't want to make your fish adjust to drastically different water twice. What I do, is I know ahead of time if I'm getting a fish so I have new salt water made ahead of time as if I were going to do a water change. I drain water from the Main into the QT replacing what was used in the main it with some of the new mixed water. After the fish have gone through the QT put the fish in a bucket with just enough water from the QT to be able to move. Then I use water from the main through a slow drop for the final acclimation for temp and chemistry. Then add the fish into the main and replace the water lost from the final acclimation with more fresh mixed water. This helps "freshen" the tank water for the new inhabitant, takes care of a water change which is always good, and help lessen the degree of change the fish undergoes from LFS to QT to Display.

JMO
Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its a big jump from my LFS 1020 to my main which is 1024 to 25. That works out to a long acclimation... Im just trying to make the transition easier for the fish not me...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good plan refbound. I also match my QT to the water from the store. I would leave it at 1.020 until you are sure the fish is ok then bring salinity up to the correct level.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Good plan refbound. I also match my QT to the water from the store. I would leave it at 1.020 until you are sure the fish is ok then bring salinity up to the correct level.
That was my plan exactly... Now I have one more dilema. I have a Wet/dry filter hooked up the the QT with a mag 950...I was wondering if a millenium 1000 filter would be good enough for my QT setup... I would hate to waste a mag 950 to a copper treatment...What do you guys think?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone? keep the wet/dry or will the millennium be ok?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The millennium 1000 filter states that it acts as a wet/dry biological filter. Do you keep it on your main so the bacteria keeps up and then transfer to the QT? If not then it may not have enough to keep your fish happy\healthy. Doing additional pwc as needed should suffice though.

For filtration I use a H.O.T. Magnum 250 on the QT and a 350 on the main so I can just transfer a bio-wheel for instant bio-filtration.

My lfs keeps their tanks at 1.019 (I bring a refractometer) and my main is 1.025. I also keep my QT tank at 1.019 and over the 4 weeks of QT add small amounts of salt to the tap off to bring it up. I still drip acclimate my fish from the QT to the main as well for 2 hours even after matching the sg/ph/temp.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com