How much Sand? (for a hex tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gg99free

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How much sand would be needed for a 4" DSB in a 28G hex tank? The tank is 18" flat to flat but I have no idea how to calculate this and we have no calculator here for it.

Well, is that a request?

If you think it is needed I can make one up.

I think if we combine the formula for finding the gal capacity of a hex tank and the sand depth calculators we can get a good close guess.

First you need the measurements like you was gonna find the capacity of a hex. So you would need

• Depth - How deep a sand bed you want in inches
    Diameter - The diameter of your tank. (Measure this from panel to panel vs corner to corner.)
    Panel - The length of one panel
    The weight of 1 sq inch of sand (i use .05750)

With that done then use the following forumla

Hex sand depth formula said:
(((Panel*(Diameter/2))*6)*Depth)*.05750

Or more simplified

(Panel * (Diameter/2)) = A
A * 6 = B
B * Depth = C
C * .05750 = Weight of sand to acheve a specific depth in Hex tank.

Now I am just guessing that this is correct based upon the math for the sand depth and the math for the hex capacity. But in theory if you find the number of square inches in a specific depth and then multiply by the weight of the sand then it should work.

Since the hex calculator find the total sq inches of the tank and then divides this by the number of sq inches in a galion then it should be close.

I will be very curious how close this calculation gets you.

Please do post back your results.

You should be able to use the hex calc....
Just figure the height of the tank as 4", multiply the result by 231 and then multiply by .0575 (the wight of 1 cubic inch of sand.

reefrunner69 said:
You should be able to use the hex calc....
Just figure the height of the tank as 4", multiply the result by 231 and then multiply by .0575 (the wight of 1 cubic inch of sand.

Ya thats basicly what the formula above does. except the divide by 231 then multiply by 231 is removed.

I really must say Kevin was the one who help figure out that darn hex calculator in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom