how much water turn over do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thegrumpyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 200 gallon aquarium im looking at turning in to a reef and was wondering how many gph i should have currently im running a rio 2500 rated at like 750 gph i think i believe this is low turnover but am planing on setting up an ats and adding 2 of the 500gph jbj's and the duo control unit the ats im hoping to get it running around 5-600 gph would this be enough or should i go with the bigger jbj's the 1600gph ones?:thanks:

I think 15-20X the turnover is fine. I think you need something big, like a Koralia Magnum 8:
Hydor Koralia Magnum Circulation Pump/Powerhead

Curious, is the tank drilled? You can add more turn over to your tank if it is. If not, a good amount of powerheads would work... You also have to consider your rock work, since that can limit your flow too.

If money isn't a factor, I'd get a MP40 or a Tunze Wavebox 6215...

15 or 20x k well im currently using one rio 2500 and its blasting 780 gph.. and im going to be hooking up a magnum 330 from marineland (for my ats) its pushes 300+gph so thats going to put me at about 1000 gph putting me at about 5x turn over seems like lots of flow but thats still way low if i need 15 to 20 ....cash is a problem for me right now because i got laid off :( and its holidays. On top of all that my wife and I just had a kid (8 months ago) so my converting to a reef tank is taking a while...no my tanks not currently drilled but i figure if i got the two jbjs that are about 1600 gph thats going to put me aroud the 4000 gph give or take and if i place the jbjs on oppisite sides of the tank itll create a random flow wishy washy effect does this sound like a good/ feasible plan? Thanks for the help and input

I have a 6 foot 125g reef and have 2 1400 koralias and my return which is at about 1200gph. I am hoping to add 2 more powerheads at 750gph or even 1050gph. I dont find it to be too much but just right for my tank. All corals and fish are doing well and there is total circulation in the tank.

It depends on what kind of coarls you plan on keeping. I have mostly SPS corals in my 125 and I have 4 Koralia 4's @ 1200gph each plus 1 Koralia 3 @ 850 gph for a total of 5,650 gph. That does not include my sump pump which does about 800 gph.

I only want a toadstool a frogspawn and a few zoas... you know to add some color and motion for now i know that the list will grow in time as i see more corals at my lfs or online...

Oh and the wife just told me she wants a pipe organ coral not sure how much flow or lighting that one needs but ill make sure that i have enough before i get one..

then 15-20 times is fine if thats what you want, but different flow rates are required for different corals

Yes, your turn over is fine-as everyone has stated. Just make sure you don't have any dead spots where there isn't any flow. It will keep your tank easier to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom