Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkng1
Why are you using three heaters? Two powerheads will easily circulate the water if you want a heater at both ends but one heater in the center back will also work with the two powerheads.

I had the one heater in the center, a 300 watt, with two powerheads and the temp stayed consistent throughout.

Or..is that one heater for each of the three tanks?
Who's using 3 heaters?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where can you buy the big bag of salt and oyster shells?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get oyster shell at places like farm and home or big r. Any feed stores. Also it costs a little more than your being led to believe. I did this using greens video. You need salt, oyster shell, aragonite sand, white portland cement, a large tub that has to be full of either oyster shell or sand for the mold making. I used oyster shell for the mold making as well because it keeps the outer layer of the rock being created more porous than the finer more compact sand will. You will have $30 at least in oyster shell if you using it for the mold making as well. At least $15 for sand as it does not take much for the batch. Plus large rock salt and portland cement. Seriously it is a PITA to leach everything out of it. I would look on craigslist for people getting out of the hoby. I just bought 75lbs of purple coraline covered natural live rock, 15 hermits, and 15 snails for $75 and put it directly in my tank all in the same day.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict

I called a feed store and they have 50lb oyster shells for $11. I'm thinking I'll need at least 3. 1 for the rocks and 2 for molding. I just need to find those big rock salt. I'll just make my own. I can make them how I want them to look.

You got lucky with that deal. You'll never know when you'll see another deal like that or if you'll end up getting. I won't wait for a deal like that. It might be longer than when I just make my own rock.

The best part about making a DIY rock like what greenmaster said is that you can say that you even make the rocks for the tank. Plus it'll be fun making it. Even if I need to let it leech for 2 months.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscomia View Post
I used acrylic panels and siliconed them in place its a lttle messy but not to bad for a diy'er I have live sand and rock along with chaeto in the center area I also have my skimmer in that part to. I plumbed all mine with hard pvc which works fine but if I had it to do ove I would use flexible pvc in addition to the hard pvc for two reason 1 its easier to work with and get into position 2 you dont have to put as many 90 degree bends in your return keeping your head pressure to a minimum
A short video of my sump
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkng1 View Post
Why are you using three heaters? Two powerheads will easily circulate the water if you want a heater at both ends but one heater in the center back will also work with the two powerheads.

I had the one heater in the center, a 300 watt, with two powerheads and the temp stayed consistent throughout.

Or..is that one heater for each of the three tanks?
The reason for using more then one heater is just in case one heater goes out you still have backup in the tank.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just made some rocks I only bought 2 bags oyster shells. Cost me a little over $30. I have plenty of extra. If I decide to make some again, I just need to buy a bag of crushed oyster shell($11 here). This is just practice it'll pay off in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1689651684.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	40268  
Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very nice. You see it really is not that hard. Just let then harden then in the water they go.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22
Very nice. You see it really is not that hard. Just let then harden then in the water they go.
It wasn't that hard to make at all.

I'm looking for a 100g tank now and make the 55g a sump.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha if I were you I would get the 125. The extra length will aloe you to keep tangs and other fish that need the larger tank. Just keep in mind that with a larger tank you are looking at an extra $1000 or more. Ie larger skimmer,more heaters,bigger lights, more sand, rock, salt,powerheads, if your up for it then by all means go for it . I'm sticking with a 60gal. It's just big enough for my liking.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com