How much will it cost to start a salt water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 6-65W PC bulb 48" fixture. Will this work? JW. I still want to get another dual T5HO fixture.

Three heaters and a gas generator? Do you live in Antartica?

No, but I have lived long enough to know that a small investment in redundancy can save thousands of invested dollars. Two heaters for the display tank is not uncommon, one heater for the mixing station is necessary. And I already own the 4th heater, which is for the quarantine tank.

A small portable gas generator costs about 150 bucks. That's a small investment to protect a much, much larger investment of money, time, and livestock.

We don't get hurricanes every year, but I have been without power for a couple of days twice in the last decade. I am without power for a few hours at least once every two years, usually when some snapperhead drives his Hummer into a utility pole. Long Island is filled with snapperheads and Hummers :)

Its not a bad idea to keep 1 heater in the main tank.. If the power ever goes out and for some reason the return pump in the sump doesnt restart then atleast the main tank water will still be heated. I have that setup, 1 heater in the DT and one in the sump..

doublenerds said:
No, but I have lived long enough to know that a small investment in redundancy can save thousands of invested dollars. Two heaters for the display tank is not uncommon, one heater for the mixing station is necessary. And I already own the 4th heater, which is for the quarantine tank.

A small portable gas generator costs about 150 bucks. That's a small investment to protect a much, much larger investment of money, time, and livestock.

We don't get hurricanes every year, but I have been without power for a couple of days twice in the last decade. I am without power for a few hours at least once every two years, usually when some snapperhead drives his Hummer into a utility pole. Long Island is filled with snapperheads and Hummers :)

I agree,I got a generator to.All the money we put into our tanks it is a worth while investment.Plus I hate being without TV.Lol

Back
Top Bottom