Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't help with the skimmer but would say it would be cheaper in the long run to get an RO/DI and do the water yourself.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms
More questions...

I read that tap water is not good for SW. Should I get a RODI or buy pre-mixed SW at the LFS?

Is a coralife super skimmer too much for a 55g? It's a 220 gallon skimmer. It's on sale, like new for $130. The girl said she used it for only a couple of days and original price is $260. What do you think? Thanks.
An RO/DI system is crucial for reefs. Carey bought her's from this store on eBay for 60$. Which is a really good price. Plus you can drink the water from the RO/DI system too!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also noticed at the LFS that most SW tanks has strong water flow. Usually the ones with corals. Is that necessary? Which one should I get for a 55g?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #24

There is no such thing as too much flow in SW. Some corals need strong flow, other do not. All depends on what your putting in your tank, IMO.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'll buy a RODI system. I can also use it to soften water for my discus tank I'll check EBay.

For the corals that doesn't need strong water flow, is it ok if the flow is strong? It's just unnecessary?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #26

Again depending on the coral. You may have a coral that NEEDS low flow. Then you may have a coral that says low flow- medium flow will suffice.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wanted to comment on one persons post about RO+DI being safe to drink! Let me be clear...it is NOT safe to drink! Deionized water is not safe to drink. Due to the purity of the water and the lack of minerals, DI is a relatively strong solvent. As such, when ingested, a condition called "osmotic shock" may occur. This condition occurs as a result of the DI water removing minerals and other elements from the cells in the body more rapidly that the cell walls can stand. The result is ruptured cells and internal bleeding. Though the cases are few and far between, there have been documented cases.
55 Gallon Freshwater - African Cichlids
KLehman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLehman72
I wanted to comment on one persons post about RO+DI being safe to drink! Let me be clear...it is NOT safe to drink! Deionized water is not safe to drink. Due to the purity of the water and the lack of minerals, DI is a relatively strong solvent. As such, when ingested, a condition called "osmotic shock" may occur. This condition occurs as a result of the DI water removing minerals and other elements from the cells in the body more rapidly that the cell walls can stand. The result is ruptured cells and internal bleeding. Though the cases are few and far between, there have been documented cases.
This is new to me. I have heard several people on AA say RO/DI is in fact safe to drink. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359
Again depending on the coral. You may have a coral that NEEDS low flow. Then you may have a coral that says low flow- medium flow will suffice.
Ok. What is considered low, medium and high flow?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, as for the flow some of it will be from the return from the sump, but most SW tanks have power head in addition to this for added circulation.

Also, with the RO/DI you don't want to use it for the FW tank. It is fine with the SW tank because you will be adding the needed nutrients back into the water from the salt mix, but you don't do that with FW.

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com