How much will it cost to start a salt water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomchong22 said:
Haha if I were you I would get the 125. The extra length will aloe you to keep tangs and other fish that need the larger tank. Just keep in mind that with a larger tank you are looking at an extra $1000 or more. Ie larger skimmer,more heaters,bigger lights, more sand, rock, salt,powerheads, if your up for it then by all means go for it :). I'm sticking with a 60gal. It's just big enough for my liking.

I might stick with the 55g and 20-30g sump. That extra grand made me change my mind. Lol ;)

Hahaha yeah it was tempting for me to get a 125 but after I added up all the cost I said no. don't worry a 55 will allow you to do allot of things. You can prob look at spending about $2000 over the next few years just on fish and coral. And after you tank is maxed out and you have corals growing out of control then I would think on upgrading. I know I have at least 5 years in my 60gall before I would upgrade.

Rscomia said:
A short video of my sumphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A8fbkymo-s

Thank you for the video. This is really helpful. Just one question, does the water coming in the sump from the aquarium making a lot of noise?

My tank has been cycling for about 10 days. I have live rock, sand and a couple damsels in there. The temperature is perfect, and all the levels are spot on as of the last few tests. Should I do a PWC if everything is perfect during the cycle?

My tank has been cycling for about 10 days. I have live rock, sand and a couple damsels in there. The temperature is perfect, and all the levels are spot on as of the last few tests. Should I do a PWC if everything is perfect during the cycle?

So, I'm not sure if this post even belongs in this thread because it is off topic and you aren't the OP.... BUT, IMO yes, you should do a PWC because you are using fish to cycle and it is hard on the fish to be swimming around in their own feces... (the ammonia they produce isn't yet getting converted because there isn't enough bacteria if you just started cycling). It will take longer to cycle with fish if done with PWCs, but then again it isn't exactly right to make the fish suffer either...

It is off topic but I'm sure the person who started this could benefit from the question too.

If all the levels are correct, then doesn't that mean the fish aren't swimming in excessive feces? I just don't want to do PWC and replace water that has adequate levels of all needed bacteria etc. Is this not good logic?

Elitehunter1 said:
It is off topic but I'm sure the person who started this could benefit from the question too.

I don't mind at all. Another way to learn.

Most nitrifying bacteria isn't free floating, they colonize the surfaces of your sand, live rock, filter media. Even a 95% PWC wouldn't make much of a dent in your bacteria population.

Rscomia said:
Did you ask me something about my sump video cause all I can see in your post is the video

I said:

"Thank you for the video. This is really helpful. Just one question, does the water coming in the sump from the aquarium making a lot of noise?"

Not as much as you would think my filter quitens it alot and I elbowed mine down to get it closer to the filter with the doors shut on my stand I hardly notice any noise

Rscomia said:
Not as much as you would think my filter quitens it alot and I elbowed mine down to get it closer to the filter with the doors shut on my stand I hardly notice any noise

Ok. Thanks.

I was on craigslist looking for SW stuff. This guy has a hang-on protein skimmer rated for up to 125g(?), 50lbs LR, 60lbs sand, 55g and stand plus other small stuff(hydrometer, magnafloat, etc..) for $150. What do you guys think?

I think you should have already bought it. The live rock alone is more than that

if i were you i would see if you can just buy the lr and the protein skimmer. you dont want the sand and u prob already have all the other stuff. see if you can get the lr and the skimmer for ...eh $50. that sounds pretty good compared to what he all is sellingh.

He said he won't part it out. I still want a sump though. Doesn't the skimmer usually go in the sump. What do you guys think of the hang on skimmer?

That's A lot of money. Are those ones the best that you can get? I heard the octopus skimmer is great. I just paid off my car. So that should give me extra money for this :)

I am sure it can be done less expensively. Sumps can be DIY for under $100, or you can forgo them altogether. I'm pretty sure that protein skimmers are considered optional if you are doing a fish only tank. I want the flexibility to easily convert to reef next year, once I have more experience under my belt.

Overall, I opted for brands/items that had really good word of mouth rather than cheaper but less well known hardware. I'm hoping it pays off in the long run, but I very well could be burning a bundle on stuff that's no better than the no-name stuff you can get on e-bay :)

Why are you using three heaters? Two powerheads will easily circulate the water if you want a heater at both ends but one heater in the center back will also work with the two powerheads.

I had the one heater in the center, a 300 watt, with two powerheads and the temp stayed consistent throughout.

Or..is that one heater for each of the three tanks? :)

I think this was directed at me? I am putting 1 heater in the sump, 1 in the tank, and 1 for my RO/DI mixing container.

I work long days and I live in the NE. If a heater dies, I wanna make sure I have back-up :cool:

Can you just put 2 heaters in the sump? So you wont have to see the heater in the tank?

Three heaters and a gas generator? Do you live in Antartica?

Back
Top Bottom