Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In saltwater there is no need for chemical or mechanical filtration. If you have a sump with a deep sand bed macro algae and good flow and a good amount of live rock in the dt. The only filter you need is just water changes every week or two weeks. Everything else is just to prolong or keep up without doing weekly waterchanges. Stick with a sump and get a good protein skimmer and you will be set. Don't wast money on carbon or stuff like that.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

My chaeto is still small so I think it was not enough at this point I have used the same carbon now for about 4 months rinsing it weekly with every water change I use it for a clearer water and have heard it can asborb smells from the tank but I dont know that it is a necessity

Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscomia
My chaeto is still small so I think it was not enough at this point I have used the same carbon now for about 4 months rinsing it weekly with every water change I use it for a clearer water and have heard it can asborb smells from the tank but I dont know that it is a necessity
I would only use it like once a month or every three months when you want to "polish up the water" such as color and smell.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22
In saltwater there is no need for chemical or mechanical filtration. If you have a sump with a deep sand bed macro algae and good flow and a good amount of live rock in the dt. The only filter you need is just water changes every week or two weeks. Everything else is just to prolong or keep up without doing weekly waterchanges. Stick with a sump and get a good protein skimmer and you will be set. Don't wast money on carbon or stuff like that.
How about fish waste? Suck it out during PWCs? Macro algae? Is it ok to use a skimmer that is rated for 220g in a 55g?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
The reason I use a filter is to catch some of the bigger stuff out of the water and it is alot easier to rinse then chaeto although I have noticed with time it is alot cleaner when rinsing now then when I first started my tank
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Don't you have to replace carbon after a month because they can only absorb so much and stop absorbing?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The reason I use a filter is to catch some of the bigger stuff out of the water and it is alot easier to rinse then chaeto although I have noticed with time it is alot cleaner when rinsing now then when I first started my tank
A lot cleaner than before you added the filter media?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
How about fish waste? Suck it out during PWCs? Macro algae? Is it ok to use a skimmer that is rated for 220g in a 55g?
Before I do my pwc I go through with a turkey baster and try to blow of the rocks and stuff so it is suspended in the water and easier to suck out I have always heard to get a bigger skimmer rating then what your tank is but I dont know if you can get to big of one
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Before I do my pwc I go through with a turkey baster and try to blow of the rocks and stuff so it is suspended in the water and easier to suck out I have always heard to get a bigger skimmer rating then what your tank is but I dont know if you can get to big of one
The one rated for 220g probably won't fit in a 20g sump. Where can you buy a cheap but good skimmer? Where did you get yours?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
A lot cleaner than before you added the filter media?
Speaking in terms of my filter it is cleaner now then the first week or two of my tank running

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com