Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 640
In saltwater there is no need for chemical or mechanical filtration. If you have a sump with a deep sand bed macro algae and good flow and a good amount of live rock in the dt. The only filter you need is just water changes every week or two weeks. Everything else is just to prolong or keep up without doing weekly waterchanges. Stick with a sump and get a good protein skimmer and you will be set. Don't wast money on carbon or stuff like that.
__________________

__________________
Tomchong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rscomia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Plains Missouri
Posts: 1,010
My chaeto is still small so I think it was not enough at this point I have used the same carbon now for about 4 months rinsing it weekly with every water change I use it for a clearer water and have heard it can asborb smells from the tank but I dont know that it is a necessity
__________________

__________________
Its not impossible It just cost more.
Rscomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscomia
My chaeto is still small so I think it was not enough at this point I have used the same carbon now for about 4 months rinsing it weekly with every water change I use it for a clearer water and have heard it can asborb smells from the tank but I dont know that it is a necessity
I would only use it like once a month or every three months when you want to "polish up the water" such as color and smell.
__________________
Tomchong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22
In saltwater there is no need for chemical or mechanical filtration. If you have a sump with a deep sand bed macro algae and good flow and a good amount of live rock in the dt. The only filter you need is just water changes every week or two weeks. Everything else is just to prolong or keep up without doing weekly waterchanges. Stick with a sump and get a good protein skimmer and you will be set. Don't wast money on carbon or stuff like that.
How about fish waste? Suck it out during PWCs? Macro algae? Is it ok to use a skimmer that is rated for 220g in a 55g?
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rscomia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Plains Missouri
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
In saltwater there is no need for chemical or mechanical filtration. If you have a sump with a deep sand bed macro algae and good flow and a good amount of live rock in the dt. The only filter you need is just water changes every week or two weeks. Everything else is just to prolong or keep up without doing weekly waterchanges. Stick with a sump and get a good protein skimmer and you will be set. Don't wast money on carbon or stuff like that.
The reason I use a filter is to catch some of the bigger stuff out of the water and it is alot easier to rinse then chaeto although I have noticed with time it is alot cleaner when rinsing now then when I first started my tank
__________________
Its not impossible It just cost more.
Rscomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscomia
My chaeto is still small so I think it was not enough at this point I have used the same carbon now for about 4 months rinsing it weekly with every water change I use it for a clearer water and have heard it can asborb smells from the tank but I dont know that it is a necessity
Don't you have to replace carbon after a month because they can only absorb so much and stop absorbing?
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscomia
The reason I use a filter is to catch some of the bigger stuff out of the water and it is alot easier to rinse then chaeto although I have noticed with time it is alot cleaner when rinsing now then when I first started my tank
A lot cleaner than before you added the filter media?
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rscomia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Plains Missouri
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
How about fish waste? Suck it out during PWCs? Macro algae? Is it ok to use a skimmer that is rated for 220g in a 55g?
Before I do my pwc I go through with a turkey baster and try to blow of the rocks and stuff so it is suspended in the water and easier to suck out I have always heard to get a bigger skimmer rating then what your tank is but I dont know if you can get to big of one
__________________
Its not impossible It just cost more.
Rscomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscomia
Before I do my pwc I go through with a turkey baster and try to blow of the rocks and stuff so it is suspended in the water and easier to suck out I have always heard to get a bigger skimmer rating then what your tank is but I dont know if you can get to big of one
The one rated for 220g probably won't fit in a 20g sump. Where can you buy a cheap but good skimmer? Where did you get yours?
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rscomia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: West Plains Missouri
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
A lot cleaner than before you added the filter media?
Speaking in terms of my filter it is cleaner now then the first week or two of my tank running
__________________

__________________
Its not impossible It just cost more.
Rscomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I start a Salt water tank? sarahh Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 29 11-30-2010 09:04 PM
Wanting to start a salt water tank but know nothing. Emily94 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 07-21-2010 01:20 PM
cost of a salt water tank harmy4993 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 30 03-26-2010 11:27 PM
Wanting to start a salt water tank!! Crittercrazy Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 9 03-12-2008 10:33 AM
Wanting to start a salt water tank Aquarium Freak Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 11-27-2006 06:49 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.