How much will it cost to start a salt water tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a 55g tank(no built-in overflow) and I haven't decided if I want another FW or start a SW tank...

Is 55g big enough? How much will it cost me to start a SW tank w/ corals? What do I need to buy and where can I buy it cheap? Do I need a filter(canister) or a sump? Or both? Are UV sterilizer and RODI necessary? Skimmer? What's the CO2 for in a SW tank? I just want to know the necessary equipments for now and will be asking later what I need to add to the water. Thanks a lot! :)

That size is definetely big enough. I would look at yur local online classified for a salt water forum and buy the equipment off of someone else. I would just keep the tank as it is with your canister if you already have it. If you don't, then consider installing a 20 gallon sump underneath.

UV sterilizer, protein skimmer and RODI water are not necessary. The co2 tank would be for a calcium reactor, which is also not required.

Start with what type of corals you want, then a very strong light fixture, budget for live rock and then go from there.

ChizerBunoi said:
That size is definetely big enough. I would look at yur local online classified for a salt water forum and buy the equipment off of someone else. I would just keep the tank as it is with your canister if you already have it. If you don't, then consider installing a 20 gallon sump underneath.

UV sterilizer, protein skimmer and RODI water are not necessary. The co2 tank would be for a calcium reactor, which is also not required.

Start with what type of corals you want, then a very strong light fixture, budget for live rock and then go from there.

I have a dual T5HO with 10,000K and 1 actinic bulb? Do i need to add another fixture? Dual or single? Which light spectrum? I don't have a canister yet and really looking forward on using a sump. Sump will be the filter? Is $70 for a skimmer a good price? The girl where I bought the dual fixture is also selling a skimmer. I forgot which brand though. I just texted her. Waiting for a reply. All I need to start the cycle are live rocks, sump and salt(what's the ratio?)? How about to measure the salt in the tank or whatever is needed to measure what's in the water?

How does a calcium reactor works? I already have a 10-lb. CO2 tank. What else do I need? Thanks.

Last edited:
How about sand? Should it be "live sand"? How many lbs. for a 55g?

no the sand and rock does not have to be live, but you can make it live by cycling it for a few weeks with a raw shrimp or by adding pure ammonia.

as far as the lighting with a dual fixture you'd only be able to house some leather corals and mushrooms, i'd get a 4 lamp T5ho with individule lamp reflectors

Gti_Leo said:
no the sand and rock does not have to be live, but you can make it live by cycling it for a few weeks with a raw shrimp or by adding pure ammonia.

as far as the lighting with a dual fixture you'd only be able to house some leather corals and mushrooms, i'd get a 4 lamp T5ho with individule lamp reflectors

Thank you.

Does getting both live sand and rocks help with anything? What if I just add another dual fixture? Or does it have to be 4 lamp with individual reflectors?

yeah the reflectors double the light output of each lamp, you can see a big difference in the ammount of light a reflected lamp puts out compared to one without.

as for the rock, it'll shorthen yous cycle time if you get all live rock, you won't really be able to add fish to a fishless cycle, which 99% of us recommend doing

Gti_Leo said:
yeah the reflectors double the light output of each lamp, you can see a big difference in the ammount of light a reflected lamp puts out compared to one without.

as for the rock, it'll shorthen yous cycle time if you get all live rock, you won't really be able to add fish to a fishless cycle, which 99% of us recommend doing

Is that a yes on just getting the 4lamp fixture? Would i still get a wide variety of corals to choose from if i just add another dual fixture?

I'm planning on using pure ammonia. I have some left from cycling my FW.

Would you please explain to me how a calcium reactor works? Thanks :)

Lots of questions! This is good!

If you plan on getting corals, get a 4 bulb T5. It does not have to be one unit, you can have 2 2 bulb fixtures.

Depending on the type of coral you don't need the CO2. The coral that would need that are going to be for more experienced reef keepers anyway.

Don't use a canister filter, they usually are just nitrate factories anyway. Go with a sump. You can buy an overflow or make one from PVC to keep the cost down. Going with an overflow, see what it's GPH is rated for (or if you build your own you will need to test this) and then get a return pump that is slightly more (because you will need to deal with head loss from pumping up).

Live rock will help with the cycle process. It should speed it up.

The amount of sand will depend on how deep of a sand bed you want. I'm GUESSING around 40 or so lbs for a 2" or so dept. There are calculators out there, just search for them for your best answer.

Have fun! Be patient!

well as the calcium drops in your water columb its supposed to release calcium into your water slowly. i've never read into how they work as you can still dose with liquid calcium or do water changes to replenish all the essencial elements that have been used up.

i would not get a fixture without SLRs you just won't have the light output to house the corals and won't have the water penetration capability

i just bought the 2' version of this fixture, i plan on changing out the bulbs and using actinic and daylight bulbs.

48" 4Ft 4 TUBE T5 HO FLUORESCENT GROW LIGHT SYSTEM BULB | eBay

Smitty said:
Lots of questions! This is good!

If you plan on getting corals, get a 4 bulb T5. It does not have to be one unit, you can have 2 2 bulb fixtures.

Depending on the type of coral you don't need the CO2. The coral that would need that are going to be for more experienced reef keepers anyway.

Don't use a canister filter, they usually are just nitrate factories anyway. Go with a sump. You can buy an overflow or make one from PVC to keep the cost down. Going with an overflow, see what it's GPH is rated for (or if you build your own you will need to test this) and then get a return pump that is slightly more (because you will need to deal with head loss from pumping up).

Live rock will help with the cycle process. It should speed it up.

The amount of sand will depend on how deep of a sand bed you want. I'm GUESSING around 40 or so lbs for a 2" or so dept. There are calculators out there, just search for them for your best answer.

Have fun! Be patient!

2-dual fixture is ok. That's good to know. 2-actinics and 2-10,000Ks? Would 2 actinics, 6,700K and a 10,000K works?

So, I don't have to worry about setting up a calcium reactor for now. I still need to dose calcium, right?

Do you know a good link for a DIY overflow? I don't understand the GPH on the overflow. Don't have any experience with that. The overflow is connected to the sump? Is the GPH is for the "equipment" to use to return the water from the sump to the main tank?

Gti_Leo said:
well as the calcium drops in your water columb its supposed to release calcium into your water slowly. i've never read into how they work as you can still dose with liquid calcium or do water changes to replenish all the essencial elements that have been used up.

i would not get a fixture without SLRs you just won't have the light output to house the corals and won't have the water penetration capability

i just bought the 2' version of this fixture, i plan on changing out the bulbs and using actinic and daylight bulbs.

48" 4Ft 4 TUBE T5 HO FLUORESCENT GROW LIGHT SYSTEM BULB | eBay

That's a good price for a 4 lamp fixture. I would want to save money though if I can just buy another dual fixture.

What is moonlight for SW? What is it for? Is that the actinic? Should that be on the whole time during "lights off"?

As for the bulbs I would say 2 actinics and then the others are going to be personal preference. I'm using 10k white. Some would go with a white and blue or some may go for two blue.

Depending on the coral you may or may not need to dose calcium. If you are going to have clams then yes, probably, same with the hard coral. I don't have experience with either so can't really advise.

The overflow is going to be connected to the sump. I don't have any links to DIY overflows handy but you can probably find some by searching. Make sure it has a siphon break to avoid flooding. If you DIY you can figure out the GPH by having it empty into a bucket and timing it... like a 5g bucket that you have marked off to say how much makes 1g, 2g, etc. Time it to see how long it takes to fill 1g, 2g, etc and then you can calculate the GPH. If you buy one it should tell you what it is rated at.

I thing you are looking for somewhere in the 10x tank volume for the GPH on the overflow. If it is 10x then you would want a 550 GPH overflow.

What is moonlight for SW? What is it for? Is that the actinic? Should that be on the whole time during "lights off"?

Moonlight is just for looks for the person who has the tank. You don't need them. They are for looks only. The time they are on is up to each person.

Smitty said:
As for the bulbs I would say 2 actinics and then the others are going to be personal preference. I'm using 10k white. Some would go with a white and blue or some may go for two blue.

Depending on the coral you may or may not need to dose calcium. If you are going to have clams then yes, probably, same with the hard coral. I don't have experience with either so can't really advise.

The overflow is going to be connected to the sump. I don't have any links to DIY overflows handy but you can probably find some by searching. Make sure it has a siphon break to avoid flooding. If you DIY you can figure out the GPH by having it empty into a bucket and timing it... like a 5g bucket that you have marked off to say how much makes 1g, 2g, etc. Time it to see how long it takes to fill 1g, 2g, etc and then you can calculate the GPH. If you buy one it should tell you what it is rated at.

I thing you are looking for somewhere in the 10x tank volume for the GPH on the overflow. If it is 10x then you would want a 550 GPH overflow.

I like 10,000K white. Thanks for the "siphon break" advise. I'd also get 550 GPH overflow.

I'd be doing some research now on DIY overflow and read the "stickies" here for SW. Also for prices. Thanks a lot! I'll let you know if I have more questions(For sure I will) :D

Roy, im def glad to see you're interest in a saltwater tank.. it can be quite involved (as you can see) your best bet is to spend a few days just reading thru the saltwater forum on here..its amazing how detailed and expansive the info is. And of course there's always the experienced salties here as well:) wish you luck on your saltwater venture.

negligent_inmate said:
Roy, im def glad to see you're interest in a saltwater tank.. it can be quite involved (as you can see) your best bet is to spend a few days just reading thru the saltwater forum on here..its amazing how detailed and expansive the info is. And of course there's always the experienced salties here as well:) wish you luck on your saltwater venture.

Thank you.

I would definitely do that. I have the whole day to read the threads :)

More questions...

I read that tap water is not good for SW. Should I get a RODI or buy pre-mixed SW at the LFS?

Is a coralife super skimmer too much for a 55g? It's a 220 gallon skimmer. It's on sale, like new for $130. The girl said she used it for only a couple of days and original price is $260. What do you think? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom