How much work is a SW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm really trying to decide if I want to get into this. I'd be purchasing 72 gallon bowfront. My question, how much of a time commitment it this? Is this something that takes a whole lot of time. Also, how likely is some sort of leak or glass breakage? I'd hate to flood my basement.

Thanks

I probably spend about 8-10hrs a week on my tank, 2hrs a week at the LFS... and 10 hrs a week on this site! Im sure thats a fraction of what some do. So yes it can be time consuming. it is a very enjoyable hobby and worth the time IMO. As far as leaks or breaks go up until recently I would have said that it is rare, however one of my tanks just broke. :cry: It was a cheap tank though and I dont think it was properly leveled. Whatever you do make sure you buy good equipment and take your time setting it up(make sure its level) :wink:

Erok7620 said:
I probably spend about 8-10hrs a week on my tank, 2hrs a week at the LFS... and 10 hrs a week on this site! Im sure thats a fraction of what some do. So yes it can be time consuming.

8O

Wow... just curious where all that time is spent on your tank? I don't think those are typical numbers, so don't run away yet "jw"! (I can understand the 2 hrs/week at a LFS! Especially when you're in "stocking" mode!)

For me (46g), I spend about 5 minutes every other day cleaning the glass, and about 10 minutes a day feeding/observing. I also do a 10% water change every weekend. The water change along with filter/skimmer maintenance takes at most and hour. Mixing up salt water and doing water tests during the week might take up an hour a week.

There's no denying that any aquarium is a time commitment, so it's just really how much time are you willing to invest?

Regarding breakage... that's always a concern, and was a big one for me. Stuff does happen, but tanks breaking on their own are pretty rare. I think many cases of breakage are like Erok mentions - tanks that aren't leveled properly, or not on a solid base. At least you're in a basement, if something happens! Mine is in my living room on the 2nd floor!

It all really depends on how you do it. If you work on it everyday like most do then it will be like 15-20 mins a day. If you do it once a week then it could be a couple hrs on that day. Either do it all at one time or break it up into every day. The choice is yours.

I haven't done a saltwater tank, and I assume its significantly more time consuming than a freshwater tank. JW, if this is your first attempt at aquariums I'd really suggest starting with freshwater cuz they're easier and tons of fun. I have 4 tanks (10, 10, 15, and 20 long), and I'd say I spend at least 3 hours a week on observing, feeding, cleaning etc. If you're looking for a hobby that doesnt involve a ton of your time aquariums may not be the best fit. From what I know most people who do this hobby are glad to spend a lot of time on it. Maybe I should assume that you have aquarium experience because if not, I would definetely not suggest starting with a 72 gallon saltwater tank.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
First off...it is not really "work" if you enjoy it. Diligence and patience in the beginning will be the hardest part. Once a tank is established the work decreases. I spend maybe four hours a week doing tank stuff. I spend a lot more time then that enjoying my tanks. To me, it all pays off.

Welcome to AA!

I agree, I have never had a FW tank and started straight with the SW. The main key, other than PWCs and testing your water is asking tons of questions and taking the awesome advice of the folks around here. I think you will find it quite fun (especially after a few months, when new critters seem to show up out of nowhere). The initial set up can be a little on the costly side, but one the growing pains are over the cost is minimal.

Depends on what you consider work. The actual work ( I have a 125 gallon tank)
Daily, 5 minutes cleaning the glass with a magnetic cleaner
Daily, 5 minutes to ??? checking on the tank inhabitants (not really work)
Every 2 -3 days 10 minutes preparing food (remove from freezer, thaw in tank water)
Feeding time is also observation time to check on those that don't normally come out.
Every 2 weeks, 2 hours aprox. to prepare and complete a PWC of 20-25 gallons
This includes doing water tests, cleaning the skimmer, checking all the hoses, cleaning PH's that may need it, etc.
Every 3-4 weeks 1 hour spent setting up and taking down the RODI unit to make a 45 gallon drum of top off water. One of the PWCs is done at this time too so all I have to do is move the output hose from 1 container to another.

I'm sure I spend a lot more time than that, like when I notice that the clam or a coral was knocked on its side by a large turbo snail, and I then place it upright again.

Family and friends will tell you I spend a lot more time than that, but it's not work. There's also the time I spend here.

I find that the time involved in having a reef tank is similar to having a fw planted tank. You change the water once a week, clean the glass, feed the fish, trim the plants. I think they are about equal. I use to have a 10 gallon, 20 gallon, and 5 gallon planted setup but I combined them all into a 54 gallon corner planted tank and now I have that and a 10 gallon nano reef and a 20 gallon nano reef. It's maybe 10 minutes a day and about two hours on the weekend.

Phoenixphire55 said:
I haven't done a saltwater tank, and I assume its significantly more time consuming than a freshwater tank. JW, if this is your first attempt at aquariums I'd really suggest starting with freshwater cuz they're easier and tons of fun.

I've heard this often, but have to disagree. If you haven't had aquariums, and you want corals and saltwater fish, then do a saltwater tank. If you want a planted tank and freshwater fish, then do a freshwater tank. I don't think there's any reason or natural progression to go from freshwater to saltwater - it just depends on what your goal is.

I went straight to saltwater with no aquarium experience and if freshwater is easier, then I wouldn't know it. Never had the experience. But then I didn't want a freshwater tank!

Maybe I should assume that you have aquarium experience because if not, I would definetely not suggest starting with a 72 gallon saltwater tank.

If you're going saltwater, get as big of a tank you can afford and fit in your living space. The $/gallon of setting up a tank go down as the tank size goes up. In addition, you have a much larger water volume to play with and the water parameters won't vary as much as a smaller tank. Nano tanks are NOT a beginner's tank, in my opinion.

jw said:
I'm really trying to decide if I want to get into this. I'd be purchasing 72 gallon bowfront. My question, how much of a time commitment it this? Is this something that takes a whole lot of time. Also, how likely is some sort of leak or glass breakage? I'd hate to flood my basement.

Thanks

The first thing you did right was asking a question on this forum. I thought at first I could just figure it out on my own. I was wrong. After making some mistakes and blowing some hard earned cash that I didn't have to I found AA and I am glad I did I have learned a lot about this hobby. I never thought there would be so much involved in a fish tank. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy. I have become addicted to this hobby it is more fun and excitement than I could have ever imagined. The only thing I would ask you before you start this hobby is are you financially secure enough to spend money to do it right. You can not take shortcuts I learned that quick and gave in to the idea of spending thousands of dollars to make a ocean inside my house.

Fishkeeping is an art, not some kind of rocketscience. Don't hold yourself to all these minutes and hours. Find what is comfortable for you and your tank. With my 29 gallon, I change water once every 2 weeks. I don't have alot of livestock though-just 2 clowns, a blenny, a pajama cardinal, and a few inverts. It takes me about 15 minutes to change the water.

You don't really need to vacuum, except when you think the sand is mucking up. You actually want all the nice bacteria to be floating around in there. Keeps the pollution to a minimum. I run the mag float through the glass once every 2-3 days. And every few months or so, I'll just do a 1/3 tank water change for the heck of it. You can do all of these things, none of these, or only some. But in the end, find what works for your schedule and what keeps your fish healthy. Some would think I'm crazy, but I've never EVER tested my water except for the specific gravity when mixing it up! :)

Just have fun! But, remember to respect the fish. Make sure you get the best equipment you can afford. Always ask questions. You can never go wrong, except when Murphy strikes.

While i don't have the experience in salt water to comment, but i always thought the problem with salt was the start-up cost and water parameters.

Start-up isn't more then a planted tank, but the skimmer and lighting will cost more then the basics on a non-planted freshwater. The filters/powerheads can be more complex but are normal about the same.

With water parameters, you have such a small amount of salt water and it's hard to deal with the salinity, trace minerals, and general parameters, where you don't have to worry about much beyond the cycle and oxygen on a base freshwater.

As far as time, i'd imagine they are about the same. You gotta mix water for the salt, but beyond that it's the same water changes, cleaning and feeding.

I suppose FOWLR or FO is about the same as normal freshwater, with corals more like planted.

I dunno, if i had a 55g tank around i'd go saltwater, but smaller i think freshwater is much better.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I have had FW tanks for many many years. When I decided to go SW I went with the same tank you are looking at. Work is a dirty word in this "hobby". If you look at getting a SW tank as "work" then don't do it. You will always look at it as work and wont enjoy what you are doing. I spend time infront of my tank either cleaning glass or just looking at it every day. I love tinkering and checking things on the tank. I'm always looking at ways to improve my water quality and overall health of my tank. There are so many things you can do!

ADVICE:

Do a lot of research before you get started! Ask as many questions as you can think of! Take your time, make good informed decisions about what equipment to buy. DO NOT let any LFS talk you into anything that you aren't sure of. Always take the time to research before you buy. MOST LFSs are out to make money not help you with your tank.

A comment above said not to start with a 72g tank. I disagree completely! The larger the tank the easier it is to care for. As for the 72g Bow, I love mine I just wish I had gotten the one with the internal overflow!

Goodluck and welcome to AA!!! We are all here to help!

my estimation of 10 hrs a wk may be high, lately thats what its been setting up a new tank and maintaining the old one. Its closer to 20-30 min a day and then a couple hours on weekends. 4-5hrs maybe more the norm. And I agree with most, i dont concider it work.. except for water changes... I hate doing them mainly because I have to drive 15min both ways to LFS to buy RO, one of these days I will buy my own RO/DI unit.

Back
Top Bottom