How Much Would This Cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 36 gallon freshwater aquarium and love it, but I have put a couple hundred dollars into it just in the last four months buying new fish, substrate, new plants, etc.

I am looking to add a saltwater tank to my room as well. I'm looking to do something small (probably about 10 gallons) because they are expensive to buy, maintain, and provide fish, so something small would be more inexpensive.

Basically, I'm wondering if I need a special aquarium or if one of the 10 gallon kits found on Amazon or Walmart will do okay. Also, do I need a special filter? What would the cost be to get a tank looking like the one on this video: 10 Gallon Saltwater Aquarium Update #2 7/26/09 - YouTube.

I'm not opposed to buying a used tank on Craigslist to save money, but I need a reasonable estimate of what it would cost.

As for fish, I'm looking to get a pair of clown fish (aren't they necessary in every reef tank? :p ) and possibly a third small fish as well.

Thanks and I appreciate it!

Well i would estimate a couple hundred dollars to set it up, it all depends on if you want top of the line equpiment/if you want a reef tank. If you want coral you will need a powerful light (not a freshwater one) and that alone will cost around 100 bucks. In my opinion its not really worth the price to set up a 10 gallon tank because its going to be very expensive either way..... Might as well get a 40 gallon tank IMO. Also, 3 fish in that size tank might be ok, but they will have to be very small.... Clowns get too big and need too much room from my experience.

What if I got the most basic equipment necessary? And by coral do you mean all living plants or specifically just the coral reefs? I'm new to saltwater terminology, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Are there any saltwater kits you can direct me to on the Internet? Also, I researched clowns and it said the max size was 3.5 inches. I'm not sure about saltwater tanks, but two 3.5 inch fish in a 10 gallon would be okay in a freshwater IMO.

ianeberle said:
What if I got the most basic equipment necessary? And by coral do you mean all living plants or specifically just the coral reefs? I'm new to saltwater terminology, so I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Are there any saltwater kits you can direct me to on the Internet? Also, I researched clowns and it said the max size was 3.5 inches. I'm not sure about saltwater tanks, but two 3.5 inch fish in a 10 gallon would be okay in a freshwater IMO.

Even if you got basic equipment it will still cost alot of money... Definitly more then your freshwater tank. By coral i mean the things that live in a reef... Idk like the great barrier reef is a good example, not plants.

Sorry i dont know of any "kits" but the biocube 29 is a great setup and you get what you pay for.... Its probably 500 bucks but it is everything you need to start a reef tank (for the most part) perfect for noobies. Clowns have large bioloads and swim alot.... Not a good fit for a 10 gallon aquarium, but a perfect fit for a biocube 29 ;) lol
These fish came from the ocean, they are used to a ton of room...

I understand. What would I need to start a tank? If I were to buy a plain old 20 gallon glass aquarium with a hood, what else would I need to add?

Oh sorry if i was wrong about the price, i have never owned one. Im pretty sure you need a heater and powerheads as well, but im not sure of what else. Tons of people own this tank so look around on the forum, there is a thread made by convict that tells you everything about the setup.

Its called "the bio cube 29 information thread"

A biocube a great starter tank. The stock lighting will not support anemones or light intensive coral buy will support softies and some LPS. Many Upgrades u can do to this tank if wanted.

In addition to the tank you will need a heater an atleast 1 power head of reasonable size. Live rock about 30lbs or some base rock with it to make it cheaper, sand and a few other basic things like salt, hoses, buckets, and Ro/Di water.

I suggest reading a lot before purchasing so you learn the terminology and understand what your getting into.

Just FYI in a 29g tank your looking at about 4-5 small fish max. This would me 2 clowns and 2-3 other similar sized fish max. Some cant get away with 5 some can, depends a lot of how you maintain and what corals you have. Sps tanks for example require superb water quality, less fish mean less nitrates. Most corals dont handle nitrates over 20ppm very well.

Thanks a lot! You're very helpful... So all in all I'm looking about $400? That's the way I see it.

ianeberle said:
Thanks a lot! You're very helpful... So all in all I'm looking about $400? That's the way I see it.

Probably more with the live rock and live sand.

My son started with a 55 gallon salt tank. It then QUICKLY changed to a 67 gallon. Now it has been upgraded to a 90 gallon. All the info we have is the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. I would advise getting a 55 and be done. You can have a beautiful reef tank with plenty of room for fish and skip the upgrades in size.
This hobby is addictive and expensive but when you get it up and running it is SOOO worth it.
Just remember be patient. If you rush the cycle and stocking you will be kicking yourself in the teeth. Trust me. Expensive lesson for my son. And regular maintenance is a MUST.
Enjoy your new adventure. You are going to love this.

Back
Top Bottom