Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

440. Right now only 1 six line wrasse

Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo3289
440. Right now only 1 six line wrasse
How many fish have disappeared?Did you ever see any remains?Sounds like you may have gotten a bad hitchhiker.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

No fish remain at all! But do have a strong clean up crews, consist of 12 snail that stay under the sand bed, 50 drawf blue legs hermit and 20 turbo. In term of hitch hiker having seen anything yet. ( btw how do u trap it)
Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo3289
No fish remain at all! But do have a strong clean up crews, consist of 12 snail that stay under the sand bed, 50 drawf blue legs hermit and 20 turbo. In term of hitch hiker having seen anything yet. ( btw how do u trap it)
I will try to explain it,but you might be better off searching aquarium bottle trap on the Internet or YouTube.
Take a soda bottle and cut it around where it starts to narrow to the top.Them reverse the cutoff part and insert it back into the bottle.attach some bait like a piece of shrimp to a pc of rubble rock with a rubber band and put it in the bottle.I always cut a small hole in the bottle and tie some fish line to it so I can easily pull the bottle out of the tank.The idea is the crab or whatever will go through the small opening of the bottle cap to get the food but will have a hard time getting back out.The problem is most of your cleanup crew will go in there
to.
I would try to eyeball whatever it is at night when all the lights have been out for awhile,if you have a small flashlight that you can cover the lens with some red cloth or plastic it wouldn't spook the inhabits as much.

How you ever heard any click or popping sounds at night from the aquarium?Worse case you could have a mantis shrimp but it probably is just a bad crab.

All this assumes you have something like that.I don't know of any other reason why just your fish are apparently dying and not your inverts to.

Hopefully you will receive some other ideas from the experienced members on the forum.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i do 5 gal a week on my 20gal, so thats 20%.

when i clean my canister, it takes another 1.5 gal so i normally do 50% every 2 weeks.

nitrates are 5-20

IMO i would just change 10% weekly. if your nitrates stay low than i would say you can prolong your PWC. but im far from an expert so someone correct me if im wrong
Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thx Rick, thank you for the great info. sorry I'd been busy.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com