Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How often do i do water change?

Hi everyone,
I have my reef tank for almost 2 years and recently I'd ask myself if I'm doing everything correct regarding water change. 110 gal total water vol, I started with 5 gal change weekly, then my nitrate stay at 25 ppm. Then last 3 months I started to 15 gal weekly and
my nitrate went to and stay at 5 ppm. Then the question came in to me is that am I pulling a lot of good nutrient and good bacteria out of the tank? What is the best way to do this? 15 gal every 2 weeks? Or 15 gal weekly? Or 10 gal every 2 weeks? Please help!! Thanks!

Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #2

You are not pulling good stuff out. Effectively all bacteria are ON rocks, sand, etc. If you are using a high quality salt you are actually adding all the important trace elements that are needed.

I usually suggest 10% weekly, more frequently (not larger) if there are ANY issues (extra nitrate or phosphate, algae, stressed fish, anything). Water changes are all that are needed to prevent and treat most problems.

What salt are you using? What water (tap, RO, what)?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do a 20g pwc weekly on my 125g reef. I do more like 30% on my freshwater tanks.

i was doing 15g a week on my 55g reef and was keeping nitrates at 0. I was also using a canister filter too, so it's all about maintenance.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Monday morning is my tank maintenance day,..and I do a 15-20 gal wc on my 75 gal
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do 10 gals every 2 weeks.. No problems so far, and nitrates stay at 0, I also have cheato in my sump to help with the nitrates
Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

DD PRO PLUS is the brand. Btw thank you so much for replying. Do you guy also siphon the sandbed as well? Also I'm planning to add a hang on refugium, do I need to disconnect the refugium to do water change or leave it running?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

RO DI water
Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do things a little different.I have a 75 gallon with 20 gallon sump.Total actual water volume after rock and equipment displacement is 70 gallons.
I do a 35 gallon water change once a month.But I am draining out of the DT while pumping into the sump from my barrel out in the garage.So it is not an actual 50% change per say. My Overflow drains through a home made container with a layer of filter floss,two media bags of carbon and another layer of filter floss,and the 300 gallon Marineland pro series in sump protein skimmer,plus uv sterilizer.My water is always clear other than normal bubbles from livestock etc.
I have a 165 lbs of live rock in my display tank.I always have o nitrate and phosphate readings.I do test calcium and ph weekly and supplement as needed.
This works great for me with the least amount of work.I do have to add some RO/DI top off daily due to MH's.

You have to see what works best for you and your tank.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thx Rick, I wish I know what's best and I thought I was doing everything right. It's been a while most of my acro are RTN, fishes keep disappearing. But all the monti, softies, etc... are doing great. Everything else is at 0. Salt is a 1.025, ph range from 7.9 to 8.1.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo3289
Thx Rick, I wish I know what's best and I thought I was doing everything right. It's been a while most of my acro are RTN, fishes keep disappearing. But all the monti, softies, etc... are doing great. Everything else is at 0. Salt is a 1.025, ph range from 7.9 to 8.1.
RTN?
What is your calcium at?Also what fish in your tank?

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com