How often to clean filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WJH1748

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a Sealife 100gal w/d. There is a filter on top, then bio balls. Under that is a one carbon mesh bag. I have a Seallife 75 gal Pro Skimmer. It dumps on to a sponge. How often should I clean the sponge and the filter on top of the w/d filter? Do you do anything with the bio balls? I read the article on "Activated Carbon". The overflow has a sponge type filter on the tube also? Would more freq cleaning help my high Nitrate reading? 8O Tx WJH

WJH1748 said:
Would more freq cleaning help my high Nitrate reading? 8O Tx WJH
Anythings that collects/traps foods and detritus should be cleaned frequently. Depending on how quickly, it may be needed weekly, bi-monthly or monthly. You can usually tell by how much the flow through them is reduced. Never clean the bio-balls, they don't need it.

Contrary to popular belief, the items you've mentioned above do not create nitrates' you do.

Nitrates are a by product. It starts with ammonia, then nitrites to nitrates. The only way nitrates can be formed is with the over use of items that feed ammonia on a continual basis. This is primarily from overstocking, overfeeding or using foods that do not break down in the system very well. You reduce the addition or products/animals that add to the ammonia, you reduce the nitrate... period.. :wink:

It's a simple biological process.

Cheers
Steve

my wife was trying to help me out once and cleaned my aquarium. she cleaned everything including the bio-balls. it through my tank for a loop it killed all my fish and most of my inverts. i had to recycle the whole thing over again. :cry:

never never never clean your bio-balls :p

mark

I actually saw a how to on cleaning the bioballs on a aquarium board?

Not his one of course ...

Back
Top Bottom