How often to clean sumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have had my refugium up for about three or four months and was wondering how often should I totally break it down to clean. I try to keep the skimmer and return sections clean when I do filter sock changes but now I'm noticing algae growing on the walls of the refugium section. In fact, I have a nice amount of coralline growing in there now...

Should I just mag float the walls and be done with it? I know I shouldnt be disturbing the refufium section but its looking awful messy in there. I just trimmed down alot of caulpera the other day as well.

Any ideas guys? Whats your cleaning schedules like?

I never touch the walls in my fuge. There is really no point in it. If you think about it the more algae that grows down there won't grow in your dt. Now I do have a dsb and a sand bed under my macro algae. About 1 time a month I drain the sump almost all out and siphon it. Clean out the return pump, return lines. Every waterchange I clean out the mechanical filtration Ie sponges. I would say every other waterchange you should be good but don't scrape the glass

when i had a fuge and sump i just cleaned the walls and algae around the baffles and pumps. i left everything else. done that about once every 2 weeks

Ok. So I will leave the algae grow on the walls part. I change out my filter socks every few days and the skimmer as well. So I guess I;m doing an ok job. :)

Thanks guys

I never touch the walls in my fuge. There is really no point in it. If you think about it the more algae that grows down there won't grow in your dt. Now I do have a dsb and a sand bed under my macro algae. About 1 time a month I drain the sump almost all out and siphon it. Clean out the return pump, return lines. Every waterchange I clean out the mechanical filtration Ie sponges. I would say every other waterchange you should be good but don't scrape the glass
You just describe one of the purposes of an algae scrubber...
I never once cleaned my sump,,all the algae is the best natural filtration you can get(but you do have to harvest it/scrape it ,if running a scrubber that is)

Exactly: I plan on upgrading to a 125 soon and my sump design is going to include a algae turf scrubber dsb skimmer and macro algae

Those are sumps? Wow! Better than my tank for petes sake!

LOL

I just like a clean new look but if its meant to look used then by all means I will restrain myself from cleaning it.

i know...they are awesome looking! i don't know what kind of pods they are putting in the main system though, with the sea horses chomping on them....

Seahorses are hard enough to raise in species only tank, I can't imagine keeping them in there like that.

Something to strive for huh? It was just beautiful.

Whatcha doing up so early X, I usually see you much later. lol

Oh wow, glad I moved from up north, I'm a new yorker. :)

Did you need anything X from the brs group buy btw? Youre welcome to join. Just dont' know the discounts yet. :)

Good enough. We'll let you know if it's even worth it. If it is, I see me starting another one up within a few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom