Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How should i restart me tank?

I have a 29 gal reef but the algea has gotten out of controle. K have been working on the upgrade with a sump/fuge and a new skimmer. I want to tear it all down and set up the new one, but i dont know if i should completly restart it by using new water and drying out all the rock with algea on it. Or if i shoud use most of the water from my current tank. The tank has been running for a year and a half but its not the best tank in the world. Any suggestions on it? I have a friend with a tank i can keep my fish and corals in until the tank is ready.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you dry the rock out and start over you will have to recycle the tank. I had that problem a few years back with hair algae so I did a huge water change scrubbed everything that had algae on it in old tank water until I couldn't see any more. I rinse them again in "clean" tank water and placed them back in. I also added chemi clean it took a few weeks but all was well after that.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should i use the water thats in there now amd do a water change before i put it in the new tank. Ill also have to add another couple gallons to fill the sump

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea you can use 30 to 50 percent of your current water so when u move it over it was a large water change
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you have some one willing to hold your live stock, and the algae is bad enough to want to restart the tank I would just restart it. Give the rocks a hydrogen peroxide wash, ditch the sand and refill with new water. You'll probably have a small cycle, but it will be algae free

Tags
star, start, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com