how should i run in tank plumbing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
i still am having a huge debate to myself whether to get tank drilled or not. i really want to tho. can someone help me out on how to route the plumbin in the tank.

i have a sump wit a mag 7 pump(just bought).

and where i should i get the holes drilled in the tank?

its a 55 gallon tank. tempered bottom
i searched, but no luck :(

if your tanks drilled, please post, i really need the help... BAD!

thanks guys

Jay D

i personally dont like the drilled tnaks....especially on a 55....the overflow inside the tank (even though its not much) does take up space and doesnt give you much room to add to your overflow.
like for me...i have a 80 gal and started with only one overflow box but have another one coming to increase my circulation...more the better.
not to meantion drilling a tempered tank is a risk and I wouldnt do it yourself....

Well, I never want to go for the tank overflow it didn't leave the space for inside flow.. You can try contacting some plumber they can help you here.. They didn't charge much money and your tank plumbing problem will be solved.

I have a 75 gallon that I drilled myself. It was SO much easier than I expected it to be. Also, the bottom glass on all aquariums is tempered I believe.

If you want to test if your walls are tempered, you can take a laptop and open up notepad, make your screen as bright as it can get and set it on the floor of the tank. Then take some polarized sunglasses and hold them about a foot in front of your face and turn them 45 degrees either way. If the your laptop screen goes black, you're good to drill. If it is striped then go ahead and get a shiphon overflow. To test what tempered glass looks like you can do the same for the bottom. If I was a betting man I'd say your sides are not tempered.

But back to drilling the tank. I did it and the only problem I have with it is the exterior plumbing (PVC) attached to the overflow box takes up a bit of space and requires the tank and stand to sit out from the wall. I drilled mine in the top corner, about 4-6 inches away from the top and sides is what I was told is about where you want to be.

Check out http://www.glass-holes.com. They sell kits that include the diamond tipped hole saw, and the overflow box, etc. You could get by with the 700 gph on a 55 gallon tank. That's what I have on my 75, with a mag drive 7 pump as well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/tjm80s-75-gallon-build-thread-138715-2.html

That is a link to my build thread, and you can see my overflow box. I just used 1.5" PVC from the overflow down to the sump. As for the return plumbing I have replaced the PVC with vinyl tubing for less resistance. I decided to come over the top rather than drilling the tank a second time for the return plumbing. Pretty simple actually.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hello anneparker and tjm80,
I wanted to tell y'all to remember to check the dates on threads (This was posted 7yrs ago back in 2005.)

Back
Top Bottom