How soon could I add shrimp or crabs to salt tank that is 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How soon could I add shrimp or small crabs {emerald crabs} to anew salt water 75 gallon tank? My water is 7 days old now ph ok etcI I have 50 lbs. of live rock in tank, protein filter and powerheads. I know I should wait 4 weeks before fish introduction but do I wait that long for crab , shrimp, snails, or live coral??

wait until the tank has cycled for either fish or inverts. That means after introduction of a source of nitrogen, like a raw cocktail shrimp and ammonia has risen and nitrite has risen and both have subsequently fallen to undetectable levels, it is safe for fish and inverts. When introducing them go slow.

I agree with reefrunner69. You need to wait until your tank has completed its cycle. Here is an article on >>How Ammonia is Converted to Nitrate<<. Be sure when acclimating invertebrates to take your time. They can be very sensitive to rapid changes. Where ever you purchase your livestock from - may have specific acclimation procedures to follow in order to keep your guarantee.

Hope this helps!

thanks NaH2O, the article was excellent in its explanation ----!!!

Back
Top Bottom