Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2003, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How soon could I add shrimp or crabs to salt tank that is 1

How soon could I add shrimp or small crabs {emerald crabs} to anew salt water 75 gallon tank? My water is 7 days old now ph ok etcI I have 50 lbs. of live rock in tank, protein filter and powerheads. I know I should wait 4 weeks before fish introduction but do I wait that long for crab , shrimp, snails, or live coral??

Old 11-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

wait until the tank has cycled for either fish or inverts. That means after introduction of a source of nitrogen, like a raw cocktail shrimp and ammonia has risen and nitrite has risen and both have subsequently fallen to undetectable levels, it is safe for fish and inverts. When introducing them go slow.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with reefrunner69. You need to wait until your tank has completed its cycle. Here is an article on >>How Ammonia is Converted to Nitrate<<. Be sure when acclimating invertebrates to take your time. They can be very sensitive to rapid changes. Where ever you purchase your livestock from - may have specific acclimation procedures to follow in order to keep your guarantee.

Hope this helps!

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 02:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thanks NaH2O, the article was excellent in its explanation ----!!!

Tags
crab, crabs, rim, salt, shrimp, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com