how to acclimate corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
theres alot of conflicting information about how to acclimate corals so i want do it the right way, tmrw im getting 2 corals and i want to know the proper way to acclimate them after you float them to temp adjust?

i dont have a quarantine so i wont be quarantining these corals just a dip in coral rx

See some sites say to drip some don't that's whats confusing so much conflict

My local fish store said just put them right in lol maybe I'm wrong but I did it and it worked might not be right but that's what that said

RICH305 said:
My local fish store said just put them right in lol maybe I'm wrong but I did it and it worked might not be right but that's what that said
you probly had a hardy coral some more delicate ones would be stressed and not open for days even weeks after

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
you probly had a hardy coral some more delicate ones would be stressed and not open for days even weeks after

I guess it was a torch and a candy the torched opened up 30 mins after

Float the bag for temp. ajustment and check the SG and make slow adjustments as needed.

so i didnt like the selection of corals at my lfs so i ordered a gsp and a zoanthid colony rock about 40 polyps online their coming tomorrow so for these i just float the bag to temp acclimate and if the salinity is a little off just pour a little water in to get the salinity to match?

You should really dip any corals before adding them to your tank to make sure there are no bad hidden hitchhikers like flatworms or nudibranchs.
YouTube - Mr. Saltwater Tank TV Friday AM Quick Tip #12: No Prescription Needed

I usually check the SG and it if it is close I go ahead and start dipping the corals after they have floated in the tank. If the SG is off I will slowly acclimate the coral as it is floating and then dip.

You should really dip any corals before adding them to your tank to make sure there are no bad hidden hitchhikers like flatworms or nudibranchs.
YouTube - Mr. Saltwater Tank TV Friday AM Quick Tip #12: No Prescription Needed

I usually check the SG and it if it is close I go ahead and start dipping the corals after they have floated in the tank. If the SG is off I will slowly acclimate the coral as it is floating and then dip.

oh yes i have dip already kent marine coral dip

Yeah youre def going to want to drip acclimate
He's using air tubing andthat valve is to control how much air goes through your hose and runs about 2 bucks. I've seen people tie a knot to control the drip butthis is easier by far.

Ok I got my corals but the zoanthid seems to have been damaged in the shipment should I do anything to it?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110422_135235.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110422_135235.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 73
i would give them some time. They can be finicky to open on a dime. Looks like a nice size colony. :-D

what i meant was some of the ones like on the left bottom are hanging off the ones still attached to the rock are opening already

Like here

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110422_135841.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110422_135841.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 76
Ahh i see now. I don't know if its the same, bnut part of my palythoas blew off their rock and reattached themselves. Not sure if the zooa will find the rock to attach back to. maybe you can help it along ?

Back
Top Bottom