How to add rock to the aquarium? what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought live rock from an old(7yo) tank. took sand water and rocks from there so i have some good creatures crawling everywhere..
i added to the sand i took #4 aragonite gravel.
and put all the rocks on top if the sand in a 20 gal tank...with heater and a powerhead. covered it with the water and toped with new water i mixed...

now the question is how do i add more rock to it?:banghead:

1) if i get more live rock from somebody's aquarium?

2)if i get dead live rock?

3) if i make rock myself? i actually made some and waiting for it to stop leaching... dont know what to do after it stops leeching.. heres a link on my DIY Rock thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/curing-dyi-rock-281338.html

i am going to get some more rock soon and want to be sure i wont kill the creatures i already have... there is a small brittle star crawling in the sand and lots of worms and stuff like that in the rocks and sand i got..:hide:

i assume it will involve acclimating the rock to my tank with dripping water or something?

Last edited:
If you adding more live rock make sure it's "cured" if adding base rock give it a soak in RO/DI water for a few days before adding
3) if i make rock myself? i actually made some and waiting for it to stop leaching... dont know what to do after it stops leeching..
Where is this rock curing?

3) if i make rock myself? i actually made some and waiting for it to stop leaching... dont know what to do after it stops leeching..
Where is this rock curing?
If i take live rock from somebodies tank i can safely assume it is cured..right...like a year old tank...

I have my rocks in the toilet water tank.. They are fist sized.. With the biggest one is two fists size..
They are there for two weeks now , more or less...
I flush every chance i get :)
I actually added a link.. With all the info on it...
So in a week or so i will take em out and test the water for ph.. If its same ph for two daus in a vat of water...then what?

If i take live rock from somebodies tank i can safely assume it is cured..right...like a year old tank...
Yes as long as it was kept wet.
I have my rocks in the toilet water tank.. They are fist sized.. With the biggest one is two fists size..
They are there for two weeks now , more or less...
I flush every chance i get :)
I actually added a link.. With all the info on it...
So in a week or so i will take em out and test the water for ph.. If its same ph for two daus in a vat of water...then what? Soak it in RO/DI water test after a 2-3 day soak look for nitrates nitrites and phosphates if none then add to the main tank
PS I was to lazy to read the link 1st time. lol

Back
Top Bottom