How to add sand to a new salt water tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurenashley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We are just setting up our 100 gallon salt water tank - have not put anything in the tank yet and don't know what is better - sand first or water then sand - this is not live sand at the moment but we will be adding live sand as well as well as dry rock. Any suggestions?

To answer your question though, I'd put the sand in first, then place a small saucer plate or something like it in the tank then add the water, pouring it on the saucer. This will help keep the sand from going everywhere

110 pounds of sand and 25 pounds of dry rock - going to buy more rock soon

When I put my sand I took a five gal bucket and filled it a quarter of the way washed it really good then put in tank added sand then rock then water but I'm sure there are many ways to do it worked for me though!

Yeah I did then just tried to pour out as much of it as I could I put some white sand that I washed really good and my rock then took a plate as I poured my water in ran down the side of glass and my water never got cloudy but mine is only a 12 gal!

After you put ur sand put some water but just enough to cover it then u can do ur aqua scape with your rock!!

Rock first then sand. That way if sand gets moved from beneath rock the rock won't fall or become unstable.

Back
Top Bottom