how to build a simple sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all.
I am going to upgrade my tank to a 75 gallon soon. I also have a 20 gallon tank not being used and want to turn it into a sump. Does anyone have any simple plans for making one. Also what all would one put in it once its done.
Your help would be appreciated.

1st chamber- filter sock(s) if you want, and skimmer
2nd chamber- live rock rubble and macroalgae
3rd chamber- return pump.

double or triple-baffle between chambers 2 and 3. make chambers 1 and 3 big enough to fit equipment in, save rest of space for refugium in chamber 2

I used a 29 gallon with only two chambers. The water flows right into the main area with the macro algae, live rock, and pods. It flows under then over two acrylic panels into the return pump area. It is working great and with smaller space, it has given me a lot more space.

It depends what you mean by simple and what you want to do with it. The simplest sump would just be a container that can hold water with a return pump. If you want chambers you can add dividers for all the reasons that were listed above. It is actually really simple to make a sump, even out of glass and silicone.

Back
Top Bottom