How to build Hospital Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
can someone shoot me a link or info on how a hospital tank should be set up, if I want to just leave it running all the time. Right now it ( 10 gal) just has heater, and small hang on tank power filter,whisper 20 (I think), a pinch of sand in bottom and ,glass top ,no light.

Nothing fancy, just a basic treat or quarantine tank.

Also, buying fish and placing in this tank before introducing to main, how long to leave in and any other info of this type.
thanks,

Usually fish are kept in a quarantine tank for 2-4 weeks before being introduced to the main tank. If the fish is being treated leave it in the qt for a week after the last signs of the disease is gone. A qt can be set up just like a regular dislplay tank. Make sure you have plants and other stuff in there so fish have somthing to hide in/behind to relieve stress after shipping/being brought home from the lfs. Also, make sure you have carbon to remove meds after treatments.

woops thats for fw didn't see it was sw forum hehe

Thanks,
I searched hospital, didn't even think to search quarantine. seems like it is best to just take down and put up when needed.

If you keep something in/on your main tank that will serve as a biological filter that can be moved to the qt, then you can set up a cycled one on a moments notice. Many folks put a sponge filter in their sump that can be moved over. All my equipment is hang-on-back, so I have a little Penguin 100 Biowheel on my main tank that I can move over to my QT and have it up and running for fish within 15 minutes.

Regarding quarantine time, normal recommendations are 4 weeks minimum from the last time you see any signs of illness. So if they little guy is blotchy or something for the 1st week, but then clears up and stays clear for 4 weeks, he's good to go. At least that's the method I've used.

Back
Top Bottom