How to care for Zoanthids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking about getting back into SW after an almost 6 year hiatus. I plan on making a 10g Nano, Zoa scape and in those 6 years, the hobby has surely advanced. I now have no idea what type of equipment I need to keep zoas.

So here are the questions:
How much light do they need? I did some research and all it gave me was "Use LED, MH or T5 lighting" Nothing about exactly how much output the bulbs should have.
How much current should I have in a 10g nano zoa scape.
How do I drill a tank? (Plan on using a rubbermaid tote for a 20g sump on a 10g tank XD)
What type of fauna should I get? (I don't think 10g is sufficient for any fish so I'll be happy with inverts)
Do I need any filtration other than a sump?
What type of hydrometer should I get? Back when I did sw all that really was available were the dip and reads and the flout-in-glass hydrometers.

Not sure on the exact lighting needs of zoas so can't help you there, sorry. BUT, in a 10G, you could probably do with two Koralia Nano's. Maybe one.. since Zoas don't need a ton of flow.

In order to drill the tank, you need to make sure that the glass is NOT tempered. If it is tempered, it will shatter. You need glass hole saws. Check out glass-holes.com. They will have everything you need to drill your tank, except for the drill.

Also, smaller inverts should do fine in a 10G tank, and you could also add a clown goby as a fish, since they don't get very big and can survive happily in a 10G tank.. even a 5G tank from what i've read.

Also, skip the hydrometer. They aren't as accurate as refractometers, and in such a small tank, there will be almost no room for error.

Most zoas are low light so you don't need much. I would probably still go with a twin bulb T5 setup (good quality individual parabolic reflectors).

A single PS should be fine in that setup.

Look for ccCapt's 125 build thread. He has instrctions and pictures of tank drilling.

Last edited:
crepe, try ebay. alot of these members on here get their refractometers from their. they all work the same, but those $100 dollar varietys have all the bells and whistles. i think one may even mix the salt for you ;)

To give you an example on lighting requirements and what I did with my system. I had zoas in all parts of my system including my fuge. I had dual 250w MH with 220w of VHOs and 108w of T5s on my main display. I had tons of different kinds of zoas thriving under those lighting conditions. My flow was generated by 2x 660gph tunze nanostreams and 2x MJmods at 1600gph each along with my 900gph return pump. My point being they are very tough critters and will do well in many different light conditions.

Here are a couple shots of my zoa garden in the 120 with the above light and flow:

dsc0050medium.jpg

1012692medium.jpg

2nd pic, bottom left, green.... OMG ridiculous! Nice zoas! All "LE"?

Not sure on the exact lighting needs of zoas so can't help you there, sorry. BUT, in a 10G, you could probably do with two Koralia Nano's. Maybe one.. since Zoas don't need a ton of flow.

In order to drill the tank, you need to make sure that the glass is NOT tempered. If it is tempered, it will shatter. You need glass hole saws. Check out glass-holes.com. They will have everything you need to drill your tank, except for the drill.

Also, smaller inverts should do fine in a 10G tank, and you could also add a clown goby as a fish, since they don't get very big and can survive happily in a 10G tank.. even a 5G tank from what i've read.

Also, skip the hydrometer. They aren't as accurate as refractometers, and in such a small tank, there will be almost no room for error.

hydrometers are as accurate as a refractometer.. you just gotta have it calabrated..

hydrometers are as accurate as a refractometer.. you just gotta have it calabrated..

Maybe, but you have to calibrate it for more variables. I don't know anyone that subscribes to a hydrometer being just as good as a refractometer. The refractometer is more accurate based on physics.

as long as it is calabrated it will work as well as a refracometer. and not really more variables.. mine is +0.003 so if it reads .021 its really .024 thats all there is to it. me and every other worker at my lfs (largest in the southeast) uses a hydrometer.

as long as it is calabrated it will work as well as a refracometer. and not really more variables.. mine is +0.003 so if it reads .021 its really .024 thats all there is to it. me and every other worker at my lfs (largest in the southeast) uses a hydrometer.

I should probably save my comments, but I won't. That is a huge difference for some animals (even without the decimal place mistake) and it being + or - makes it worse. If you really think that being a part of the largest anything knowingly using outdated testing gains you credibility, I think you're wrong. As a small LFS owner and an active member of the largest Reef Club in the SE, I hear about your stores all the time. ;)

why pay a hundred bucks for something thats just as good for 10 bucks.. lol i mean really.

Not going to beat a dead horse but refractometers for more than $45 is a waste of money. I had a Marinedepot brand refractometer I paid $35 for and it worked flawlessly. Hydrometers must be cleaned and eventually the swing arm will fail. Sorry but for my money and livestock I wont chance it. Refractometer is the way to go.

I can't get a clip-on 75watt MH light for about 60 dollars. Would this light be sufficient for a zoa tank? I can also probably purchase an actinic strip as well for color.

Yes, as I stated above Zoas can thrive in a lot of different lighting conditions. A 70w Viper (or something similar) will do just fine on your tank however you will have the potential for heat issues with the use of a MH bulb over your tank. Keep that in mind when making your decision.

Thanks. Time to start saving. I guess my iwagumi tank will have to wait awhile. I need to grow out my DHG anyways.
I've already got an RO system from back in the day thank goodness.
$45 to a Refractometer
$65 to a Protein skimmer
$30 to chemicals/ new RO membranes
$100 for lighting
$50 to dollars for a stand/tank(going to get a computer stand as they will have wheels to move around easier and already have a whole in there for wires which I will use to route my plumbing.)
$20 to glass cutting equipment
$10 for piping
$60 for a sump pump.
$100 for lr/aragonite
$200 for livestock...
$40 for a Hydor Nano
So that will add up to about...$720. I have a lot of saving to do...I feel dizzy from how fast that added up.

Back
Top Bottom