How to choose the fish you buy????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superboy114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help!!! Any Recommendations in how to choose the fish I buy??? sometimes they look healthy, good colors, and eat... but how to really if they are ok?????? any tips????

If you buy at the LFS that`s about the only thing you can do. Observe to make sure no parasites and have good color. And esp. see if they are eating. Nothing worse than bringing home a fish that wont eat and see him starve to death.

Thanks for your great advice Mike!! but sometimes they look perfect,and yet they are sick... how can I prevent to infect my other healthy fish????

Yes you are correct that they could have a mysterious disease but there is no way to really tell. The way you dont add something to your tank is to QT the fish before you add it to the tank. Do it for a few weeks to observe the fish and see if he comes down with something. Most time if the fish looks healthy in your QT and your main tank parameters are OK then things should work out OK.

Read this

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Back
Top Bottom